Gear Bags - What Will Work for Me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ctiffin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All!

I am a newer diver looking for a bag to transport my gear around in. I would like something that can hold my Sherwood Luna BCD (xs) as well as my regulator and octo (this will be stored in a padded bag first), fins, mask, snorkel and wet suit - the basics.

I will be getting a mesh bag to rinse out my gear after use, but I am hoping to find something that will hold up to the rigors of airplane and boat travel while protecting my gear - and it doesn't hurt to have it look nice too! Ideally I would like a bag that is waterproof - I want to be able to put my towel and a change of clothes in it to transport it to the dive site.

I seem to keep coming back to this bag:

http://www.patagonia.com/ca/product/black-hole-duffel-90l-gear-bag?p=49345-0-042
5492 cu. in.
28x13x13
2 lbs. 10 oz.

I like the carrying options as well as the rated daisy chain on the sides, and the mesh pocket inside the zippered D flap.

Thoughts?

I've been using a Dive Caddy for the last two years. I pack mine with a Zeagle Ranger, Jet fins, regulator, mask, wetsuit, sandals and a change of clothes. I was also able to get a big Akona mesh bag folded up and compressed in. The bag folds together like a trifold wallet and compresses small enough to go as a carry on. It carries like a back pack. I even got my camera and some reading material in the top bag.

Mike

I do like the dive caddy for travel purposes on the plane but is it practical on say a 2 week dive trip to south Florida? I feel like I would need another bag on the boat with my towel, change of clothes, suit, etc. and then another bag back at the hotel with my clothes, toiletries, shoes, etc.

You'd use your mesh gear bag once everything is unpacked. Space is as much of a premium in a car as it is on a plane. If all of the gear is compacted, it is less prone to damage. I can get my caddy packed in 10 - 15 minutes. I probably putz around that long with the Akona mesh bag after a dive.

Or just use the mesh bag for shorter trips by car.

I've had a lousy experience with the Akona mesh duffel -- zipper pull popped off and zipper tape separated from the mesh along a 6" strip in the first week of use. That said, I don't suggest stuff like the Patagonia Black Hole for dive gear unless all you're doing is taking it on the plane in it. I used to use a NF Basecamp duffel that's very similar, and it simply didn't work well. They're not dry bags, the salt eats them and their burly zippers up, and the nylon canvas bottom soaks up water like a sponge.

If I had it to do over, I'd spend 2x the $ I spent on the Akona for a Halcyon gear bag or something of similar design and quality.

@OP you may want to get one with wheels so as to not tear your arms off, much as 15lbs of gear isn't a big deal, it's awkwardly holding it away from your body due to bulk that will end up being inconvenient.

I use the lightest weight mesh bag that functions as a backpack that we could find. It is only used when tropical diving to get our to and from the dive site. I can fit two sets of gear in it, minus our BC's.

For an airline bag I like a plain old lightweight suitcase as I am always pushing the 50lb limit. No need to bring attention to what is inside with scuba anything written on it. I have one from Costco, but keep eying the hard sided plastic ones.

At home my dive gear lives in a bin, always ready to go. Well except my drysuit, fins, hood, and shoes that live in a Whites backpack.

I have an old Dakota rolling duffle. The dimensions are similar to the one you are looking at. It was Tumi's entry level luggage years ago and has long since been discontinued. It's just a big cavern with hold down straps, an outside zippered pocket and sturdy zippers and a place for a lock. I have used it on many international dive trips and TSA has finally managed to destroy the rolling handle after about 10 years. It still rolls and has a strap on the end so it's usable but will probably be replaced in the future.

Whatever you chose, make sure it is roomy enough and has sturdy zippers. Apply a waterproof coating (Scotchguard, etc) on the inside and outside of the bag as that helps keep it newer longer and repel stains and mildew. I pack my fins, one on each side, the BC on the bottom with the regulator coiled up (and secured with velcro straps that I made) and placed inside the BC. I pull the shoulder and chest straps tight and put my wetsuit on top of it all. I use my regulator bag for dive lights, booties, and other small stuff. If you can fit in a bottle of baby shampoo you will be able to use it for mask defog, washing your swimsuit and gear, your hair, etc. Mask gets carried on with the dive computer in my back pack. I also put some toiletries, swimsuit, underwear and tee shirt in the back pack. You will have everything you need if your bag gets delayed. I have a 20 inch carry on if I need more space for clothes.

Get a camp towel from REI or Dick's Sporting Goods, etc. They are very light weight, you can ring them out and still dry off again with them damp and they dry quickly and take up little space. Roll your mesh bag up and secure it. TSA has a way of rummaging though everything. Put your clothes in a ziplock bag so they won't get scattered, wet or dirty. I also carry a packing list and an extra lock and zip ties in case the lock gets broken or a buddy needs something. Make sure your name, phone number, e-mail, and destination information is somewhere inside of your bag. You can put it at the top of your packing list in big bold letters. I have done this and never had anything missing from my bag. I photograph the stuff in my bag and photograph the outside of it. Put two luggage tags on the outside in case one gets torn off.

I know my method sounds like over-kill, but it works very well for me. My bag has only been delayed twice, once on arrival and it showed up the next day and once going home. Hurricane Wilma passed through Honduras and there was only enough fuel to get the people in the air. The bags came several days later and were delivered to the door by the airport guy. i gave him a nice tip.

That's what I do when traveling. Now I just drive 4 miles to the marina so I carry my stuff in a Scubapro zippered mesh bag. It has a U opening and that makes it easier to get everything inside.

Sounds like you are preparing yourself well for future dive travel. Have fun and safe diving.

COLOR! It is probably one of the single most important things that I forgot to mention. I have two black bags and put colorful zip ties on both handle sides. I then watched someone pick up my bag and start carrying it away. I chased him down and said that it was my bag. He started to argue, then looked down in his hand and realized I was correct. Phew, that was a lot of money in dive gear he almost made off with. Colors that no one else uses or would want to carry are perfect, and in reality the best I have seen was a graffiti bag that no one could mistake as their own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom