Gear Bags - What Will Work for Me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a non dive branded wheeled suitcase and carry a mesh bag to carry dive gear from hotel to boats etc. If I'm traveling to multiple dive locations I usually use a hiking pack as its easier to carry over longer distances, on off trains, boats etc.

I will be getting a mesh bag to rinse out my gear after use, but I am hoping to find something that will hold up to the rigors of airplane and boat travel while protecting my gear - and it doesn't hurt to have it look nice too! Ideally I would like a bag that is waterproof - I want to be able to put my towel and a change of clothes in it to transport it to the dive site.
Since you mention airplane, I assume you're talking about some tropical travel. Generally, a bag that is suitable for airplane travel is not suitable for boats. Usually too large/bulky, plus I expect you'll find you'd rather not get it wet and salty. (Personally, I don't dedicate a bag to gear only, makes more sense to also have some clothes and other stuff in there.) Use your mesh bag for the boat. It is possible to find mesh bags with a dry compartment, but I think you're better off getting a separate dry bag of size/style that suits your needs. That way you can leave the mesh bag with your wet gear, and take the dry bag back to your room. Backpack straps on the mesh bag are handy for keeping your hands free, and of more use many places than wheels.

If you also do local diving you might find a bag you get for airplane travel is also not what you'd want to use, unless maybe it's a cheap duffel. It may make more sense to put your stuff in a crate, your mesh bag, on a tarp in your vehicle, or some other cheap bag that you don't mind getting wet and crummy. Depends how you're diving (shore/boat, how far to carry stuff) and what kind of vehicle you have.

What about a $5.00 mesh laundry bag from Wal Mart.
Always worked well for me.

I seem to keep coming back to this bag:

http://www.patagonia.com/ca/product/black-hole-duffel-90l-gear-bag?p=49345-0-042
5492 cu. in.
28x13x13
2 lbs. 10 oz.

I use an older Patagonia Black Hole duffle to check my wife and my BC, wetsuits, fins, etc (i.e. the stuff that's not our regs that I carry on). I love it - been checking it on airplanes for about 10 years and it's just now starting to show wear. When my current big bag gives up the ghost, I'll either replace it with another black hole or with an army-navy store large canvas duffel.

When we're ready to go from the hotel to the dive boat, we unpack the big bag into two mesh gear bags (that fly packed in the big bag).

I always fly to my dive destinations, and I usually lug a lot of camera gear along with my dive gear, so weight is an issue. Cosmolite bags have held up well for me. They are deceptively sturdy, very light, and easily wheeled around an airport. I throw a mesh bag in with my equipment for the trek from hotel room to boat.

I just bought this at Costco. I'm impressed with the quality. For $49 for the bag or $69 for the bag and a carry on, it would be hard to find a better deal. I use a mesh bag for the boat. Duffel Bags Oh, you can get color trim I got the lime trim.

Last edited:
I've been using a Dive Caddy for the last two years. I pack mine with a Zeagle Ranger, Jet fins, regulator, mask, wetsuit, sandals and a change of clothes. I was also able to get a big Akona mesh bag folded up and compressed in. The bag folds together like a trifold wallet and compresses small enough to go as a carry on. It carries like a back pack. I even got my camera and some reading material in the top bag.

Mike

My understanding is the Dive Caddy does NOT meet airline carry-on regulations. It is too large. However, most airlines do not check but some (mainly international) do. I had a fight with a Cathy Pacific ticket agent in Chicago (I think) over the size of my carry-on which did conform to airline regulations, just not theirs. Heck the woman even brought out a scale to weight it. The funny thing was on the return flight they could care less.

---------- Post added March 21st, 2013 at 03:30 PM ----------

I will be getting a mesh bag to rinse out my gear after use, but I am hoping to find something that will hold up to the rigors of airplane and boat travel while protecting my gear - and it doesn't hurt to have it look nice too!

Some people put their gear in a mesh bag and dunk it the tank and think that is rinsing. Ask the tech at your LDS what happens to equipment rinsed that way. The gear should be rinsed (soaked is better) individually. The mesh bag is supposed to be for the wet gear to dry off. Again, hang it up to dry. Dive gear will last a very long time if taken care of properly and will look like trash in a short time if not taken care of.

COLOR! It is probably one of the single most important things that I forgot to mention. I have two black bags and put colorful zip ties on both handle sides. I then watched someone pick up my bag and start carrying it away. I chased him down and said that it was my bag. He started to argue, then looked down in his hand and realized I was correct. Phew, that was a lot of money in dive gear he almost made off with. Colors that no one else uses or would want to carry are perfect, and in reality the best I have seen was a graffiti bag that no one could mistake as their own.

Peter is 100% correct about having a bag with COLOR! We started a little company in Key Largo just this fall to address that and other issues. Check out our website we have over 1.6 million color combos. The bag is only 2 lbs, extremely sturdy, and you can make it very personal.

I use the lightest weight mesh bag that functions as a backpack that we could find. It is only used when tropical diving to get our to and from the dive site. I can fit two sets of gear in it, minus our BC's.

For an airline bag I like a plain old lightweight suitcase as I am always pushing the 50lb limit. No need to bring attention to what is inside with scuba anything written on it.
I have one from Costco, but keep eying the hard sided plastic ones.

At home my dive gear lives in a bin, always ready to go. Well except my drysuit, fins, hood, and shoes that live in a Whites backpack.

^^^ What this guy said!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom