Gauging Interest in DH backplates...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, if you haven't tried it, I run continuous webbing on a VDH plate.... it narrows how the harness crosses, helping me keep it as low on my back as I want it.

My very first approach was to do continuous webbing. I wove it through a shoulder slot, down through an upper tank strap slot, across to and through the other tank strap slot, and then up through the other shoulder slot. This approach left the cut-out for the can completely free of the harness webbing--which is necessary if you dive a skinny tank and use a VDH Phoenix nozzel on your U.S. Divers DH reg. (I'll look to see if I have a photo somewhere.)

However, though this first approach worked okay, it was a bit of a kludge. And aesthetically unpleasing. For me, my sewn solution (pics linked above) is much, much preferred.

rx7diver

I use a single continuous webbing route. It puts just a little pressure on the bottom of my can, but works fine.

1646160695300.jpeg

1646160764365.jpeg

1646160833940.jpeg

This approach left the cut-out for the can completely free of the harness webbing--which is necessary if you dive a skinny tank and use a VDH Phoenix nozzel on your U.S. Divers DH reg.
And exacerbated with the DIN Phoenix assembly version...

@SubseaSports - LMK if/when you are running them (especially if you accomodate "talls"). I'm curious the length you have chosen? Other question is if you would consider a stainless steel or a bit thicker aluminum plate? I dive my VDH plate periodically with doubles, and the aluminum does flex more than I prefer....

As far as length, 17" oal. It's about the sweet spot when considering using a std singles wing.

I personally prefer stainless, but went with AL for cost. I even looked at plastics, but there is no value there might as well start with AL.

Available AL : .125 .187 .250 +
Available SS : .125 .250 +
Available Ti : $$$$ + current world scenario + $$

If there is a nod toward toward SS, I will go that route.

My very first approach was to do continuous webbing. ... (I'll look to see if I have a photo somewhere.)

This is the best pic I could find. Cylinders are OMS/Faber LP66 (wearing the BP) and 2 x PST HP80's (3,500 psig).

rx7diver

VDH_BP_Cont_Webbing_20190928.jpeg

I'm currently working on a plate similar to these for use with doubles.

As I said, I run mine with doubles. It is "marginal" in the flex. Basically, the plate is supported by spacers on the band bolts, and has no tank support... even if it did, the flex is the plate pulling away from the tanks when lifted by the straps....

I'm currently working on a plate similar to these for use with doubles.

Mine with baby doubles works just peachy (see pics throughout my thread here Baby Doubles for Double Hose Reg)--although, after completing a couple of dives, I have just about committed to a different direction ...

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom