Gauging Interest in DH backplates...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest to add extra upper shoulder slots... kinda like building the tri glide into the plate, then there are more options to go either way..

Plate came in yesterday.
Looks clean. After I put the order in I thought it might be a bit too narrow for most folks. I have yet to harness it, so we will see. I wont get to that until next week as I will be out for a few days.
The roll control plate works better than planned. I only have one on there and its steady. Two wouldn't hurt.
I will post pic with a wing shortly..

Mounted on an old al80
20220309_111851.jpg

Roll control plate (stainless steel) mounted..slots are thinner on it to keep it in place. Excuse the weld pattern... pressed for time today.
20220309_105932.jpg

With lp85
20220309_110246.jpg

Attachments

• 20220309_110600.jpg
    20220309_110600.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 43
Nice, but remember-when diving with a double hose regulator, each layer of material between the diver's back and the tank adds an equal amount of inhalation cracking effort. A flat plate such as you have is best mated with a wing that already has anti-roll features built into it.

E.g. Let's say your (very nice) Mistral was tuned to have a cracking effort of 1.0 inches. I see at least 0.25" of material holding it away from the diver's back. Now, there is a cracking effort of 1.25"

Looking good!

@Couv excellent point.
Its a separate part, intended for those with DR and DGX open style wing slots. Like me :cool: I dont have the slit style. I should have mentioned already...sorry.
AFAIK there is no standard for slot dimensions and placement for the slit style wing. So not sure how that will play out. If anyone reading this has info for oms and such, feel free to chime in. I googled it and didn't come up with anything.
Overall thickness of the roll plate right now is .156". It will go to .148" next time as its over built as is. Of course thats not including the center wing strap.
Of course what tank/reg combo you are using will be part of the equation.
Seen here with a dead lp72 and DGX 24lb wing. The adjustability in the top slots is good.
20220309_133022.jpg

20220309_133035.jpg

My regs like playing dress up
My fav DH
20220309_133152.jpg

20220309_133217.jpg

I have a DAAM, but is currently setup for chest mount, so cannot display.

I plan on deleting the inner tank band slots.

Plate came in yesterday.
Looks clean. After I put the order in I thought it might be a bit too narrow for most folks. I have yet to harness it, so we will see. I wont get to that until next week as I will be out for a few days.
The roll control plate works better than planned. ...

FWIW, I have worn my VDH double-hose reg plate only sans BC, and (when diving a single cylinder) only with a lightweight cylinder (Luxfer Al 63, old-school PST 72, OMS/Faber LP 46, and OMS/Faber LP 66). I have never sensed the need for any roll control, never sensed that my rig was particularly unstable.

rx7diver

Thanks @rx7diver. Good info. Without the roll plate [ gonna call it the wedge from now on ] the tank is very secure for now.
It's simply an option.

I used a DR SS plate with HP117s for years without a STA. Never bothered me..there was a very slight nudge now and then.
I eventually bought a STA because having a skewed plate drove me nuts and I would have to play with it while in a rolly polly boat. I like square clean lines.

With a flat plate there is no need for that "roll control" addition. This is particularly true when you are threading the tank band on the outer slots like you are showing. There is just no way the tank can roll with the tank band clamping down the tank with that wide of a footprint.

The backplate looks good.

Back
Top Bottom