Baby Doubles for Double Hose Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rx7diver

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
I am now one step closer to completing the baby doubles (for my double hose reg) that I've posted about in several threads: I ordered (from Grainger dot com) and earlier today received the "Binding Posts" that thread onto the carriage bolts that pass through the tank bands.

I drilled larger the holes in my back plate, but I still need to cut down the carriage bolts (a bit too long). This is where things stand do far:

ETA: I posted about the harness (Post #5) here: Twin 45's back from Hydro and valves/manifold rebuilt.

ETA: And I posted about the manifold (Post #43) and the bands (Post #47) here: Twin Set Considerations/ Manifold.

rx7diver

OMS46_Doubles_20210624a.jpeg OMS46_Doubles_20210624b.jpeg OMS46_Doubles_20210624c.jpeg

That looks sweet!

Thanks. I'm following the lead of several ScubaBoard members who have already done this. Next, I need to source some appropriate wings!

rx7diver

Yesterday, I finally got around to trimming the carriage bolts. I used my Dremel.

Only things left are the BC and the pull rod. And the inaugural dive.

rx7diver

Trim-up_OMS46_Doubles_20210704.jpeg

Nice Setup @rx7diver. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Very Cool setup!

Here are my Twin HP 40's. Haven't used them in a while and they need some clean-up but lots of fun.

Cjb7FD.jpg

5Wi2iF.jpg

Yesterday, I finally got around to ...
View attachment 669330

UPDATE: I was able to take my rig for its inaugural dive in a local swimming pool earlier today. No BC. No pull rod. Began at ~1,200 psig. Ended with ~200 psig. I wore my swim suit and tee shirt, and mask, fins, and snorkel, only.

Some observations:

1. The rig wore surprisingly well--even when portaging it from the parking garage, across the street, down a tall flight of stairs, into and then through the recreation facility, down another tall flight of stairs, and, finally, down and around a long hallway to poolside! In the water, the DH can was correctly positioned, and the rig dove quite comfortable, with regulator recovery accomplished without issue, and I'm sure my underwater doff and don will go quicker and more smoothly next time.

2. I absolutely need the pull rod; I couldn't reach the J-valve (since the tanks were so low, as intended).

3. In fresh water, I will need to wear this rig with an exposure suit. I was a bit heavy (negative) fully submerged, when the old U.S. Divers SPG read ~1,200 psig, and remained a tiny bit heavy fully submerged, at 200 psig. I think my O'Neill 3/2 will be enough. Maybe. (I had it with me, but decided I didn't want to put it in a chlorinated university swimming pool after all.)

4. The increased mass (compared to my single OMS/Faber LP 66) is quite noticeable, especially when quickly "leaning/rotating" from side to side and yawing--the way a photographer/videographer or hunter might. I didn't dive the rig long enough to detect whether I could sense what is almost certainly more drag (due to the greater cross sectional area: 2 x 11.9 sq in, vs. 18.7 sq in for the OMS 66).

VERDICT (so far): Very pleased so far. And even though the length of the OMS LP 46's seems perfect for this application, I think Faber LP 50's can be used here, too. (They won't be too long, I think.)

rx7diver

Back
Top Bottom