Gauge backup or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why is this entire thread in the hogarthian section?? Wireless computers? consoles? It's utter blasphemy :rofl3:

Totally agree !

Wrist mount your timer/computer,............ Computer fails, ........... Seek a GUE instructor for the details.

Who will tell you to ditch the computer.

Exactly. An air integreated wireless computer is most definitely non-hog, so asking whether to keep an SPG as a backup is much like asking the pope for advice on whether to use ribbed or non ribbed condoms for birth ccontrol.

If you are doing a technical dive, a wireless air integrated computer is a bad idea for a variety of reasons and it should not be along on the dive. If it is a rec dive, you go up when it quits anyway - no questions asked - so no redundant system is needed. You either have enough gas to surface or you do not, you can't make more so having a backup SPG is pointless.

Not to start a peeing match But just curious as to your comment. I have been diving with a wireless,for about 4 years and my deepest dive is 200' and I use it in the caves in North Florida. I also have a brass and glass back up and back up bottom timer. I have yet to have an issue with mine and I like some of the features. Again all I am asking is for a why?

Butch

Exactly. An air integreated wireless computer is most definitely non-hog, so asking whether to keep an SPG as a backup is much like asking the pope for advice on whether to use ribbed or non ribbed condoms for birth ccontrol.

That is the funniest thing I heard all day.

Is it just me or are other people asking why bother with a wireless SPG etc., if you are advised to carry a brass and glass hip mounted SPG anyways, when the desired result in taking a wireless SPG done for the sake of reducing clutter? (he says while scratching his head) Why bother with something that is more likely to fail anyways?

i now use a brass and glass SPG clipped off to my hip attached to a low profile HP Miflex hose. Great suggestion above to know your gas consumption i learned that from a beginner tech course (calculate your consumption of 10 bars of air and calculate usage). As for hoseless air computers, in the past i have had failures with both the Sunnto D9 and Uwetec Sol and now only use them in gauge mode for backup as i no longer trust the technology.

The OP just made their first post to Scubaboard and has not been back since. Further, they are a new diver so I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they posted it in the wrong place. So instead of acting like the stereo typical stinking sphincters how about giving some reasonable answers.

That said, it is worth keeping the console as a back up. Whether you just toss it in your bag just in case or leave it on your reg is your choice. I used to leave it in the gear bag on trips but now have a digital bottomtimer/depth gauge that is my backup. Used consoles are worth may be $100 with a compass.

Last edited:
Brian,

I've had failures of computers and transmitters before. I don't use a transmitter any more because of it. I just found them too flaky and ended up putting a backup SPG on my kit. Once it was there then there was no need anymore for the transmitter.

R..

Who digs up a post from 2008?!

Anyway - since it is here and observers will note that I've been sitting around on my ass all day bored smegless and upping my post count on SB all I will say that as a former IT consultant, I am somewhat loathe to rely on computers for anything! This is why I keep a pen and some paper hand at all times in my apartment, and why I never go anywhere without an analogue SPG! Yes, computers are in general reliable, and analogue gear is prone to failure also... but consider, if you're diving with one computer that tells you air, depth, time and everything, and it goes wrong, you have no idea where you are, how deep you are, how long you've been there or how much air you have left.

Full integration bothers me for various reasons, which is also why I keep CDs and DVDs as well as MP3/4s! :D

Cheers,

C.

Back
Top Bottom