Garuda Carry Weight Help: Camera and gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't answer that. You get the wrong person on the wrong day? You get the right person on a good day? You might be ok, you might not.

To add to that…what is your plan if they tell you no at checkin? Even worse, what is your plan if they tell you no at the gate?

Ok- I am of course speaking in broad generalizations, but IN GENRAL, if one spends some in Indonesia, he/she will find that harmony, consistency, and order are very important to Indonesia culture. This is especially true in the workplace. I have found when I ask my staff, or a shop employee, or a waitress, etc… to go off script, deviate outside their job description, improvise a solution, or go off menu (so to speak) things often do not go as I hope they will. In the West we see this a strength, but here that isn't usually the case. The ingrained need for consistency, staying true to regulations, being fair to everyone, avoiding conflict, and keeping the peace is powerful. Perhaps this is what Wetpup and I are trying to say… and consequently there is just no way to predict if the vest is a good idea.

Last edited:
To add to that…what is your plan if they tell you no at checkin? Even worse, what is your plan if they tell you no at the gate?

Ok- I am of course speaking in broad generalizations, but IN GENRAL, if one spends some in Indonesia, he/she will find that harmony, consistency, and order are very important to Indonesia culture. This is especially true in the workplace. I have found when I ask my staff, or a shop employee, or a waitress, etc… to go off script, deviate outside their job description, improvise a solution, or go off menu (so to speak) things often do not go as I hope they will. In the West we see this a strength, but here that isn't usually the case. The ingrained need for consistency, staying true to regulations, being fair to everyone, avoiding conflict, and keeping the peace is powerful. Perhaps this is what Wetpup and I are trying to say… and consequently there is just no way to predict if the vest is a good idea.

My plan was to have my actual carry-on bag of 7kg be packed in such a way that I could check it at the gate. Garuda told me via email that if my carry-on was overweight at the gate, I could check the bag.

I think my plan will be to simply have the most delicate equipment in my carry-on at 7kg. And then just a few things in the vest so it is not overloaded at all. Then the rest I'll pack very securely in a checked in bag.

I flew Garuda twice in Oct. I was waaaaaaaaay over 7kg. Conservatively, my camera bag alone was at least 11kg. Then I had my personal item...Ha.

At check in both times, they asked to weigh it and check it in. Before throwing it onto the scale, I said it was very expensive camera equipment that is fragile and opened it up for them to show them. I said that there was mention on their website to not check in fragile or expensive gear asked if it was okay. As soon as they saw it both times, and me while smiling and being friendly the whole time, they let me carry it on and didn’t weigh it. :)

I had my 12+ pocket Scottevest trench ready at the helm if they denied me after politely requesting. I was ready to shove gear and lenses into the gigantic pockets. Great jackets, highly recommend for this purpose. :D I would have only left strobes in there surrounded by clothing. (It’s a special camera rolling carry on bag.)

I flew Garuda twice in Oct. I was waaaaaaaaay over 7kg. Conservatively, my camera bag alone was at least 11kg. Then I had my personal item...Ha.

At check in both times, they asked to weigh it and check it in. Before throwing it onto the scale, I said it was very expensive camera equipment that is fragile and opened it up for them to show them. I said that there was mention on their website to not check in fragile or expensive gear asked if it was okay. As soon as they saw it both times, and me while smiling and being friendly the whole time, they let me carry it on and didn’t weigh it. :)

I had my 12+ pocket Scottevest trench ready at the helm if they denied me after politely requesting. I was ready to shove gear and lenses into the gigantic pockets. Great jackets, highly recommend for this purpose. :D I would have only left strobes in there surrounded by clothing. (It’s a special camera rolling carry on bag.)

That's a pretty good plan! Reading the Garuda website on valuable/breakable items and excess cabin baggage it appears to indicate that if its excess then you can carry it on for a fee..... Hmmm.

I can see about carrying your camera gear with you on the flight. However, carrying your dive gears (reg, mask, dive computer, etc.), I think that is unnecessary effort and adding additional trouble you may encounter during the trip, such as haggling with checkin counter for overweight / oversized carryon, on top of the hassle of hauling the bag & finding overhead compartment space if you are lucky enough to get onboard early.

I’ve been checking in those dive gears for the last 13 years of traveling half around the world (going to Indonesia at least 10 times). Those gears always work properly after I unpack them from my divebag (knock on woods).

The mask is always in its original hard case where I can stand on it without crushing. I do carry spare mask after losing one after a bad habit of MOF and it got tossed to the sea on one of speedboat ride back to the liveaboard.

If you are flying Garuda domestic, you have 2x23kg. The free 23kg Sports equipment applies to domestic flights as well. One of the reasons I tend to choose Garuda although their tickets are more expensive than Air Asia, Lion Air etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom