Garuda Carry Weight Help: Camera and gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I have to check a bag, it will only be about 10kg, so I assume I should be good to go? We are on an Airbus from Singapore to Makassar, then switch to a bombadier turbo prop from Makassar to Sorong. Our bag will be checked all the way to Sorong from Singapore.
Yeah, you're good to go :)

Thanks again. Guess it will be loading the carry-on up to 7kg with the breakable camera gear and the rest going in my checked bag. :) Side note: I spent a few years living in Auckland. Miss diving great barrier island!

Thanks again. Guess it will be loading the carry-on up to 7kg with the breakable camera gear and the rest going in my checked bag. :) Side note: I spent a few years living in Auckland. Miss diving great barrier island!
I've taken a job in Wellington for the foreseeable future. Not sure yet how long I'll stay here, but I was up at Poor Knights and Paihia over Christmas. Fun, but a bit too far from Welly for it to be a regular thing :)

Never have such problem (knock on woods). I guess I consider myself lucky for the last 7 years going to Raja Ampat, having separate bookings for my international and domestic flights (International flights with Singapore Airlines, domestic flights with Garuda or Sriwijaya). I just show my passport to the domestic ticket counter. Just told them I & my group we’re going to dive. They even didn’t bother to weight in my 2 bulging backpacks that I wore on my back & my chess :D

Hmmhmm. @Dan_T I'm still patiently waiting for your recent Banda Sea-RA trip report. What's a guy have to do?

V
Hmmhmm. @Dan_T I'm still patiently waiting for your recent Banda Sea-RA trip report. What's a guy have to do?

:)

It’s coming, hopefully by this weekend. I just got back from Palau with Palau Aggressor II, a couple weeks after the Banda Sea-RA (Crossing) trip. Still recuperating from the flu & jetlag. I actually collapsed on the Guam-Honolulu flight from flu (103F) & dehydration. United Airlines had to put me in Emergency hospital in Honolulu to recover. So I was on watch for 6+ hours while recovering from the flu & dehydration, of course missed my flight connection to Houston right on New Years Eve. Ended up sleeping on a bench in Honolulu airport for my 7am next flight connection as no room available in town for <$300 for a 3-hour sleep......

Both back-to-back liveaboard trips were some adventures for me. For the Crossing trip we actually hit a nasty thunderstorm on our way to Bandaneira, lost engine power. I got shook around like a rag doll on a dog mouth in my cabin, my laptop got flooded. We ended up cancelling the passage to Banda as the storm grew worse to 10’ waves with 25 knot winds. Those guys in the lower cabins either see the blue water or sky through their port hole windows. BaSARnas asked us to turn around. We were lucky to reach Seram the next morning with no one lost at sea or injured.....

So the story to be continued in the trip report coming soon :)

Last edited:
So I loaded up a photographer vest with just about all my camera gear. Total weight is 15lbs. Does not include my housing or camera. But does include all 3 lens, ports, 2 strobes and batteries.

Think this will pass the test at the gate? It will easily fold in half and fit under the seat. I would then pack my actual carry-on in such a way that if they forced me to check the carry-on, it would be safe.

Even with the gear on, I only weigh 175lbs, less than most Americans. :)

full

V

:)

It’s coming, hopefully by this weekend. I just got back from Palau with Palau Aggressor II, a couple weeks after the Banda Sea-RA (Crossing) trip. Still recuperating from the flu & jetlag. I actually collapsed on the Guam-Honolulu flight from flu (103F) & dehydration. United Airlines had to put me in Emergency hospital in Honolulu to recover. So I was on watch for 6+ hours while recovering from the flu & dehydration, of course missed my flight connection to Houston right on New Years Eve. Ended up sleeping on a bench in Honolulu airport for my 7am next flight connection as no room available in town for <$300 for a 3-hour sleep......

Both back-to-back liveaboard trips were some adventures for me. For the Crossing trip we actually hit a nasty thunderstorm on our way to Bandaneira, lost engine power. I got shook around like a rag doll on a dog mouth in my cabin, my laptop got flooded. We ended up cancelling the passage to Banda as the storm grew worse to 10’ waves with 25 knot winds. Those guys in the lower cabins either see the blue water or sky through their port hole windows. BaSARnas asked us to turn around. We were lucky to reach Seram the next morning with no one lost at sea or injured.....

So the story to be continued in the trip report coming soon :)

OHHH Sweet jezzus! Be well, take care, sounds like quite the adventure.

For the Crossing trip we actually hit a nasty thunderstorm on our way to Bandaneira, lost engine power. I got shook around like a rag doll on a dog mouth in my cabin, my laptop got flooded. We ended up cancelling the passage to Banda as the storm grew worse to 10’ waves with 25 knot winds. Those guys in the lower cabins either see the blue water or sky through their port hole windows. BaSARnas asked us to turn around. We were lucky to reach Seram the next morning with no one lost at sea or injured.....
Wow... looks like you had a scary ride.
It's not for nothing the people in Banda islands do not recommend the end of the year and say Banda sea can be prone to big waves.
For the history buffs, that's why the dutch did so well in the Bandas with their chase for the spices esp. the nutmeg, while the portuguese had reached Bandaneira first (Note the portuguese name), their boats weren't strong and sturdy enough for the Banda sea.

I can't answer that. You get the wrong person on the wrong day? You get the right person on a good day? You might be ok, you might not.

Also, I weigh under 100lbs, and even I get called out for excess baggage. It means nothing. Frequent flyer status or business class airfares are what get you leniency in this part of the world :wink:

Back
Top Bottom