Garuda Carry Weight Help: Camera and gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zalick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm flying to Sorong next week for a trip to Misool. The carry-on allowance is 7kg. I emailed reservations and they told me the 7kg applies to both the overhead bag and personal bag for under the seat. They told me that if it weighs over it will not be permitted in the cabin.

I recently upgrade my camera gear and I think in total it weighs about 15lbs. Typically I carry everything on for a dive trip. My regular carry-on that goes in the overhead has my dive gear + clothes. Then my camera bag goes under the seat.

My current dive setup weighs about 17lbs and will be 20lbs with my clothing. So I have two carry-ons weighing a total of about 35lbs +/-.

I read some tips about using a photographer vest to strap all the heavy stuff to your body and thus not get weighed for the carry-on. Has anyone done this with Garuda? My fear is they say I must weigh that too.

I don't want to check all my expensive camera equipment, nor do I like checking in my regulator or mask. If necessary, I can check my BC and fins.

Is Garuda strict on weighing the handheld carry-on? If I'm overweight, do I have the option of checking the bag still?

Any tips would be much appreciated! We are flying from Singapore.

Todd

It's hit and miss. I have had them weigh my carry-on before either at check-in or at the gate - more than once. I've had to either check through or gate check my camera bag.

I've also flown dozens of times and not had them blink at me, let alone weigh anything. You have to be prepared for them to weigh it at the check-in counter or boarding gate and subsequently have to check it. Be prepared to suffer excess fees if you get caught at check-in.

It's hit and miss. I have had them weigh my carry-on before either at check-in or at the gate - more than once. I've had to either check through or gate check my camera bag.

I've also flown dozens of times and not had them blink at me, let alone weigh anything. You have to be prepared for them to weigh it at the check-in counter or boarding gate and subsequently have to check it. Be prepared to suffer excess fees if you get caught at check-in.

Thanks for the quick reply. If I wear a photo vest with my camera gear on the vest, do you think they would be ok with that? If I have to check some of my dive gear, I can live with that. I'll make sure my camera gear is within the 7kg limit if I need to check the other bag...

Thanks for the quick reply. If I wear a photo vest with my camera gear on the vest, do you think they would be ok with that? If I have to check some of my dive gear, I can live with that. I'll make sure my camera gear is within the 7kg limit if I need to check the other bag...
Depends on the camera gear I guess. If it can fit in pockets on the vest so they can't see it, you might get away with it. Dangling SLR's and lenses? Probably not.

I check literally all my dive gear except my wrist computer. The less it looks like I'm carrying on board the better.

Wetpup is spot on. There is no rhyme or reason to how or when they check one's carry on stuff. I have found they are a bit more strict in the Bali airport than Jakarta, but not always. I have also found the smaller airports more strict too…but not always. Being polite sometimes helps, but not always. Do know that getting pi$$ed off and aggressive never ever helps and may make things worse. Bottom line is If whoever is checking you in has been told to be strict with carry-ons that day, then that is exactly what will happen. Invest in some cases that can handle it instead of tempting fate with a vest.

I check all my dive gear too. If it is late, I can dive rental gear. It sucks, but is what it is. Camera, wrist computer and macbook goes on the plane. If you show them just that odds are very good they will let a little bit of extra slide.

Be sure to note when on the plane the number of locals lugging 15 boxes of J-Co donuts, numerous carry on bags, and all the souvenirs thay can carry. That will truly make your travel day even more perfect. :D

Last edited:
Depends on the camera gear I guess. If it can fit in pockets on the vest so they can't see it, you might get away with it. Dangling SLR's and lenses? Probably not.

I check literally all my dive gear except my wrist computer. The less it looks like I'm carrying on board the better.

Ok. Maybe I will just check all my dive gear then. Better to play it safe.

Wetpup is spot on. There is no rhyme or reason to how or when they check one's carry on stuff. I have found they are a bit more strict in the Bali airport than Jakarta, but not always. I have also found the smaller airports more strict too…but not always. Being polite sometimes helps, but not always. Do know that getting pi$$ed off and aggressive never ever helps and may make things worse. Bottom line is If whoever is checking you in has been told to be strict with carry-ons that day, then that is exactly what will happen. Invest in some cases that can handle it instead of tempting fate with a vest.

I check all my dive gear too. If it is late, I can dive rental gear. It sucks, but is what it is. Camera, wrist computer and macbook goes on the plane. If you show them just that odds are very good they will let a little bit of extra slide.

Be sure to note when on the plane the number of locals lugging 15 boxes of J-Co donuts, numerous carry on bags, and all the souvenirs thay can carry. That will truly make your travel day even more perfect. :D

Thanks for the info. We are staying at Misool Eco Resort and on a tight time schedule landing in Sorong and then boat to the island. If the bags are delayed...its rental gear for us! :)

Garuda is very generous with check in bag(30kg) which should be adequate for most recreational divers. But if that is not enough then the FREE sport equipment allowance which is 23kg for scuba equipment should take care of it.
Keep mask and computer on hand carry because they are difficult to replace in short notice if your check in bag has gone for a walk about.

Garuda only has generous limits if your ticket is international. If you have separate bookings for your international and domestic flights, it's nasty. The international allowance doesn't carry through to the domestic legs if they are on separate bookings. People get caught out on it regularly. I've had to argue with check in staff about it before, but if you can show your booking includes the international legs, you should stand your ground on it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom