Garuda Carry Weight Help: Camera and gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 17.10.05.png

Garuda only has generous limits if your ticket is international. If you have separate bookings for your international and domestic flights, it's nasty. The international allowance doesn't carry through to the domestic legs if they are on separate bookings. People get caught out on it regularly. I've had to argue with check in staff about it before, but if you can show your booking includes the international legs, you should stand your ground on it.

Never have such problem (knock on woods). I guess I consider myself lucky for the last 7 years going to Raja Ampat, having separate bookings for my international and domestic flights (International flights with Singapore Airlines, domestic flights with Garuda or Sriwijaya). I just show my passport to the domestic ticket counter. Just told them I & my group we’re going to dive. They even didn’t bother to weight in my 2 bulging backpacks that I wore on my back & my chess :D

Garuda only has generous limits if your ticket is international.
That is not completely exact.
You are allowed to take an additional 23kg sport bag on top of your checkin allowance on any Garuda flights even on domestic flights even if you didn't take an international Garuda flight (that's ALWAYS my case) .
Though domestic flights are only allowed for 20kg check in instead of 30kg international flights. That said with 43kg you're quite well off...even for a photographer carrying a lot of gear like me.
Pls read "sports equipment" paragraph here you will see there is absolutely no reference to international flights. The routes shown as examples are CGK DPS LBJ...
https://www.garuda-indonesia.com/uk/en/garuda-indonesia-experience/on-ground/baggage/index.page?

The problem is that sometimes someone at checkin "forgot" it was Garuda's policy.
In this case suggest the check in clerk to call his/her manager, the key is fisrt to know what are your rights and stand by them, secondly like Matts1w said to stay always polite and smiling (even if the small red bursting devil in your mind is now flaming hot).
You'll see it works everytime :)

Last edited:
FWIW I generally buy the +10kg allowance just to be sorta-safe. (I carry all my gear plus a large pony tank.)

Can you purchase extra allowance for carry-on? All my gear combined, with clothes is about 15kg, well under the check-in allowance. I'd love to be able to carry all 15kg in the cabin with me....

Never have such problem (knock on woods). I guess I consider myself lucky for the last 7 years going to Raja Ampat, having separate bookings for my international and domestic flights (International flights with Singapore Airlines, domestic flights with Garuda or Sriwijaya). I just show my passport to the domestic ticket counter. Just told them I & my group we’re going to dive. They even didn’t bother to weight in my 2 bulging backpacks that I wore on my back & my chess :D

I have had problems, specifically in Ambon and Sorong. If your flight is on a twin prop plane as opposed to an Airbus, they do impose the rules. And that 23kg extra for scuba gear is "subject to availability". On a full flight, they can decline to carry the extra due to the weight restrictions on those smaller planes. They always send it later and it's never been an issue, but it's not always arrived on the same flight as me. This has occasionally meant I've had to spend a day or so with rental gear due to flight schedules. Thankfully it's never happened to me when I've gone on to a lob, just resorts.

I have had problems, specifically in Ambon and Sorong. If your flight is on a twin prop plane as opposed to an Airbus, they do impose the rules. And that 23kg extra for scuba gear is "subject to availability". On a full flight, they can decline to carry the extra due to the weight restrictions on those smaller planes. They always send it later and it's never been an issue, but it's not always arrived on the same flight as me. This has occasionally meant I've had to spend a day or so with rental gear due to flight schedules. Thankfully it's never happened to me when I've gone on to a lob, just resorts.

If I have to check a bag, it will only be about 10kg, so I assume I should be good to go? We are on an Airbus from Singapore to Makassar, then switch to a bombadier turbo prop from Makassar to Sorong. Our bag will be checked all the way to Sorong from Singapore.

Can you purchase extra allowance for carry-on? All my gear combined, with clothes is about 15kg, well under the check-in allowance. I'd love to be able to carry all 15kg in the cabin with me....
No.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom