Garuda carry on bags question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaNYC16

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For Jakarta to sarong flight it says 7kg max for cabin bags and it seems like a backpack might be included in that limit. Does anyone know if I can get away with a backpack with my regs and the rest of my gear in a carry on? Assuming I can keep carry on at 7kg.

Thanks.

out of the three airlines i've encountered that state a carryon weight limit, they weighed backpacks together with your carryon towards the weight limit but seemed to ignore smaller items like a laptop bag or reg bag. other airlines seem to be swinging towards enforcing a stricter size limit for the personal item (ie anything bigger than a shoulder purse or laptop bag won't make it) such that most backpacks would be too large.

I have never had them weigh my bags and I fly a bunch... I carry a very heavy backpack and a roller with camera housing, strobes, and ports. They weigh a lot! I have had them take the roller at the plane (usually ATRs) and I just tell them that it has batteries and fragile stuff and they usually put them somewhere safe right off the galley in the back. I think if you get worried just keep your bags with someone else (travel buddy) while you check in, I have seen this done quite a bit as well.

I have never had them weigh my bags and I fly a bunch...
Garuda or Indonesia specifically?

Lots of airlines around the world have that carryon limit. It’s often enforced, and not necessarily at checkin. I’ve seen scales at the gate, and places in between.

What you might get away with depends on many things, and can’t be counted on. I think you’re more likely to be cut some slack for things that really aren’t good to check, like a laptop or camera gear. Not so much a set of dive gear.

Lots of airlines around the world have that carryon limit. It’s often enforced, and not necessarily at checkin. I’ve seen scales at the gate, and places in between.

What you might get away with depends on many things, and can’t be counted on. I think you’re more likely to be cut some slack for things that really aren’t good to check, like a laptop or camera gear. Not so much a set of dive gear.
Indonesia, Garuda, Batik/ Lion... I have flown most of them multiple times a year and been to quite a few different airports in Indo. They have never weighed my carry-ons. They have tried to take them at the gate when it's the smaller ATR but I just tell them it has a bunch of batteries and they don't usually push it. Now Fiji/Tonga was a different story. They weighed everything.

I had no problem on Garuda a few weeks ago with a heavy backpack that fit under the seat in front of me. It was filled with electronics & camera gear.

A discount airline next to the Garuda counter in Sorong was weighing everything though.

On my last trip to Indonesia (18 Nov - 12 Dec), I flew with Singapore Airlines to Jakarta & Lion Air to Ambon & Sorong. Singapore Airlines allow 2 x 50 lbs (23 kg) check-in bags, but Batik & Lion Air only allow 1 x 20 kg check-in bag. I only have 1 check-in bag, weighing 50 lbs (23 kg). None of the airlines care much about my doggone-heavy carryon backpack.

When I checked in to Lion Air, the check-in counter fellow told me, not to my surprise, that I have 3 kg overweight bag and would charge me Rp.75.000 ($5) / kg of the excess weight or Rp.225.000 ($15) for 3 kg over weight. So, I just pulled out my regulator bag out of the check-in bag & carry it on to the cabin. So it’s good to have a spare of smaller bag in the check-in bag to take out the excess weight with you to the cabin as additional carryon bag.

My next trip to The Philippines (18 Dec - 7 Jan) would be Houston-Taipei-Cebu, all international flights with EVA. So, no smaller domestic flight to worry about excess weight. I wish flying to Ambon or Raja Ampat were the same in the future, but I won’t hold my breath for it.

I have flown Garuda and Citilink alot (I currently part time live in Indonesia since 2017) and they are one of the few Asian airlines that do not actually weight your carry on. I have carried WAY! more than 7kg on many Garuda flights and never had an issue. Canister lights, backup lights, loads of loose batteries, multiple regs, laptop, ipad, gopro stuff, etc. etc.

Back
Top Bottom