Jakarta airport question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone here who believes they have the answer based on one or two runs through the Jakarta airport is fooling themselves. After MANY experiences in the Jakarta domestic terminals, I can tell you the only answer is, "I don't know." I have seen check-ins open 3, 2.5, and 2 hours early. Checking luggage earlier than that? I would say probably not...but maybe...but I doubt it.

This is painting with a broad brush, but, IN GENERAL, unlike the US where we value employees who improvise on the fly, a good employee here adheres to policy, procedures, the sop, etc... If the counter is to open at 10:15, the counter will open at 10:15.

Asiana won't have employees in Jakarta and will just be using the same people that check customers in for other international airlines with a small presence in Jakarta. That process will start usually three hours early.

There are several airport hotel options in Terminal 2 and 3. That is where I would head.

Haha so true!!! Every airport experience in Indonesia is always different. Once had a domestic flight out of Baubau, Sulawesi and they did not open the entire airport until about 45min before the flight took off. Had to sit out in the parking lot for 45min waiting for the entire airport to actually open.

It is totally hit or miss when the counter will open. But generally it is only 2-3hr max befor the flight. defiantly will not get anything earlier than 3hr.

As others have mentioned there are many hotel options. And if you want to get around Jakarta make sure you download Grab/Gojek these are Indonesia's version of Uber/Lyft. Super easy to use and you know your not getting ripped off on the price.

Don't forget when you check in to tell them you have "scuba diving equipment" Garuda gives you a free checked bag of diving equipment.

I ended up loading the bluebird app. It seems most locals prefer grab app.

My bluebird app worked fine and gave me an option for electronic app payment if I was hailing a cab as well as if I ordered a cab on the app.

Cost for bluebird is reasonable compared to what I'm accustomed to paying in my home country. Though grab may be cheaper.

The most expensive bluebird I've taken was 140k rupiah so $10 usd roughly...and that was based in bad mid day traffic.

I'm headed back to the airport tonight for my garuda flight to sorong.

For my weird 11 hour layover getting home I ended up booking the jakarta airport hotel. The relatively minor cost will be worth it. On the way home after that layover I have. About 40 hours of air travel...4 airports to get home. Best to start that series of flights as rested as possible.

It was about 36 hours of travel getting as far as jakarta...not looking forward to return route!

Reactions: Dan
looking to eat some local food might be good.
Another option is taking a Bluebird Taxi to the Central Park Mall. It is just down the toll road, and it will be super easy getting there and back. I know the idea of a mall is awful, but they really are part of life in Jakarta. Consider them air-conditioned parks with great people watching and, believe it or not, good restaurants.

Why bother going out to town center if you only have 12 hour layover? I'd just stay in Anara Hotel and go upstairs to eat in several good restaurants like Sate Khas Senayan, Bakmi GM, etc. Also I like to get a nice 2-hour massage for $20, including shower, in Bandara Massage & Refleksi at the same level of the Anara Hotel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom