Garmin vs shearwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A dive watch I wear every day, or often, simply won't be reliable for diving.

So, for a diving trip, advantage Shearwater.

I have a Terric. It's been flawless in tech mode. Small enough to wear through the airport, without looking like a doofus.

The Garmin has advantages on land. But get another watch for land use.

Haven't tried the smaller rec only Shearwater watches yet.
Makes no sense.....

Why would a daily watch automatically be unreliable? Yet you say you have a Teric, which you wear through airports (only airports?), and it's been flawless.

Garmins have been on the market for 6 years or more, if they were not solid dive computers I think we would have heard about it by now.

Aside for the Garmin proprietary transmitter thing I can not think of anything that Teric has that is better than the Garmin.

Compass?

Buying a dive computer in a watch format and not intending to wear it as an everyday watch makes no sense to me. If that’s the case, a regular computer is a better option imho.

I have 2 Terics, 3 NERD2s, a Petrel, and 2 Predators.

I never wear a Teric as an everyday watch. I don't wear a watch at all, actually.

Not sure why that doesn't make sense to you.

I like the Teric better than the Perdix AI I used to have, or any of the other Shearwaters I do have. Thus, it is my preferred dive computer for open circuit diving. That doesn't mean I want to wear it on land.

I have 2 Terics, 3 NERD2s, a Petrel, and 2 Predators.

I never wear a Teric as an everyday watch. I don't wear a watch at all, actually.

Not sure why that doesn't make sense to you.

I like the Teric better than the Perdix AI I used to have, or any of the other Shearwaters I do have. Thus, it is my preferred dive computer for open circuit diving. That doesn't mean I want to wear it on land.
Two Terics? I’m calling BS on that one…

Why? Pretty sure Stuart isn't the only one with two Terics on the board. I'm certain I've seen others posting in the Teric issues thread showing battery life of more than one Teric.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

You're gonna call BS on having 2 Terics and say nothing about having 3 NERD2s?

Or are you alluding to my post in another thread yesterday where I confessed that I lost one over the weekend because it fell over the side of the boat while we were underway? I AM indeed down to 1 at this very moment. Until my new one that I have ordered arrives.

You're in NoVA? What shop(s) do you know or use?

Also, when I'm teaching an open circuit tech class, like Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, I have to have 2 computers.

It should not blow your mind too badly to think that I use two Terics for that. I guess I could dive with 1 Teric and my Predator SA. But I don't.

TDI instructor # 24357 if you want to take it to the next level. :D

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

You're gonna call BS on having 2 Terics and say nothing about having 3 NERD2s?

Or are you alluding to my post in another thread yesterday where I confessed that I lost one over the weekend because it fell over the side of the boat while we were underway? I AM indeed down to 1 at this very moment. Until my new one that I have ordered arrives.

You're in NoVA? What shop(s) do you know or use?
I might be referring to that unfortunate incident…hopefully I’m not rubbing salt in to a $$$$ shaped wound but couldn’t help myself.

As for the shop I use, you wouldn’t know them, they go to a different school.

Back OT:

I love my Terics and can’t see myself switching to a different brand but having GPS to mark spots for some of the shore diving I do would be pretty sweet. (Nudge nudge @Shearwater) Thought about getting an inexpensive GPS enabled Garmin watch that’s waterproof or using an old phone in a waterproof case on the dive flag buoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom