Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW both my wife and I have the Garmin Approach S60 golf GPS(plus lots of other things) watch. The unit is well thought out and we love them - when they work. They both had to be sent back.T he software is unreliable requiring complete re installs. This doesn't happen often but in the 18 months we have had them, we have had 2 -3 such problems each. Customer support is responsive but I think their software leaves much to be desired ( however the problems could hardware .No way for me to know). I am not sure I trust the Descent even though I have not heard of many problems with it. My 2 cents.

There's still inventory of the MK1 everywhere and nothing is discounted that I can tell. Seems like there's probably months before the new model comes out. My bet is that there will be some aggressive discounts on the MK1 to move the remaining stock about a month before they announce the release of the new model.

Doesn't anyone here have a contact at Garmin? I don't but hoping, just a glimmer of hope would be nice :)

My source had originally stated a possible March release date with nothing set in stone. Obviously, that didn't happen and with most people around here working from home these days (I'm one of the lucky ones that still gets to come in), information has pretty much dried up. Wish I had more as I'm in the market as well since my Aeris A300CS went blank on me during my last dive trip!

@Daebado not to get you in trouble but could you find out if your source smiles when you say AI :)

I will happily wait (rather impatiently) if Fenix 6 based with AI, I would even pre order it

Unfortunately, I am unable to comment. I wish it were otherwise but I like my job and would like to keep it! :)

@Daebado not to get you in trouble but could you find out if your source smiles when you say AI :)

I will happily wait (rather impatiently) if Fenix 6 based with AI, I would even pre order it

Would you pre-order it even if the AI is some proprietary setup?

I would definitely buy a Descent with AI - IF the AI uses the same PPS transmitters as Shearwater, Oceanic, Aqualung, etc. use. And I would definitely NOT buy a Descent if it does not have AI or if the AI uses a different transmitter.

I would even if it was a proprietary transmitter, actually honestly I would welcome it if there was an improvement such as better connection, or rechargeable or ... I don't need to swap transmitters (single gas only) however lack of AI is a deal breaker so if it has reliable AI yes, if there is no AI I would not.

I would even if it was a proprietary transmitter, actually honestly I would welcome it if there was an improvement such as better connection, or rechargeable or ... I don't need to swap transmitters (single gas only) however lack of AI is a deal breaker so if it has reliable AI yes, if there is no AI I would not.

I've been using the PPS transmitters for 5 years now. Multiple transmitters and multiple AI computers. I have found them to be HIGHLY reliable. More reliable is always welcome. But, they are already so reliable that I would be pretty reluctant to invest in anything that did not work with my existing AI computers, just for a very, very small potential improvement, and from a new and therefore untested/unproven technology.

As for being rechargeable, I think I would really prefer to stick with the way they are now. My first AI transmitter was purchased new in December of 2014. It was still working fine, with the original battery 200+ dives and 4 years later. When the current battery tech lasts that long, rechargeables would need to give me more benefit than just "don't have to ever buy or change a battery". Rechargeables have a lifespan that really is not THAT much longer than how long one of the current batteries will last - and you don't have to ever recharge the ones being used now.

I don't recommend running an AI transmitter for as long as I did on the same battery. I just did it because I wanted to see how long it would really go. I would recommend having the battery in the transmitter replaced every time you have your regs serviced. In which case, rechargeable seems to me to be a DISadvantage. If you maintain your (current-style) AI battery properly, you basically never have to mess with it. That seems better than having to recharge a transmitter battery periodically.

@stuartv I swap all my disposable batteries every time I service the gear (so annually), but if rechargeable and using the same charger as other electronics I travel with (say ideally USB-C) then I would no longer need to carry spares (right now I have 2 for our transmitters and 1 for my dive computer, hers is rechargeable). I agree it's a very minor issue and both my GF and I have ongoing issues with our transmitters as do many of the divers I know, they are trivial but when near strobes that fire they loose the link.

Sure they get it back quickly but the flashing distracts my GF, as far as proven versus unproven, I know I have more of a trusting nature than is always good for me but my experience is Garmin makes great products and they would not release it if it was awful, would I do the same for every manufacturer heck no, I wont touch self driving cars no matter how much people espouse them, I will happily wait for the 5th gen there.

But the question was would I buy a Garmin Descent sight unseen if it had AI (YES) and if the AI was proprietary (YES), of course this is all speculation as I am assuming it's based on the Fenix 6 but if it was based on the 5 I might hesitate, but likely buy it anyways.

@stuartv I swap all my disposable batteries every time I service the gear (so annually), but if rechargeable and using the same charger as other electronics I travel with (say ideally USB-C) then I would no longer need to carry spares (right now I have 2 for our transmitters and 1 for my dive computer, hers is rechargeable). I agree it's a very minor issue and both my GF and I have ongoing issues with our transmitters as do many of the divers I know, they are trivial but when near strobes that fire they loose the link.

What transmitters are you using?

I shoot underwater using Inon Z240 strobes and I have never noticed them to cause an interruption in my AI readings. I am just wondering if we are using the same type of transmitters, or if you have a different kind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom