Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When Garmin "developed" the Descent there was very little modification done to the Fenix 3 HR body, most of the effort went into software development. AI will probably necessitate a lot more rework on existing platforms or the development of an entirely new body. The market for dive computers is a lot smaller than for sports watches, so the Descent 2 is probably not a priority.
I wouldn't hold my breath for the release of an AI Descent.

Despite my pessimistic expectations, the Mk1 has turned out to be a pretty useful and reliable basic dive computer. It is one of the few computers using the the versatile Buhlmann 16c standard. I've been diving with mine for almost two years with no problems. I have found it equally useful above and below the surface.

When Garmin "developed" the Descent there was very little modification done to the Fenix 3 HR body, most of the effort went into software development. AI will probably necessitate a lot more rework on existing platforms or the development of an entirely new body. The market for dive computers is a lot smaller than for sports watches, so the Descent 2 is probably not a priority.
I wouldn't hold my breath for the release of an AI Descent.
The Garmin Descent Mk1 is based on the Fenix 5X and is in a different body.

Mk1:
cf-lg.jpg

Fenix 5X:
cf-lg.jpg

There are a bunch of other hardware differences. See here:
Hands-on: Garmin’s New Descent MK1 Diving Watch
– Depth Gauge added: To measure depth, obviously.
– Waterproofing standard differs: It’s waterproof to 100m, but in this case they’re specifically following EN 13319
– Added DLC bezel coating: The Fenix 5X doesn’t have this, and it hardens against scratches. On higher end model Titanium model.
– Charging port changed: In order to get the dive-focused 100m rating, they switched back to the Fenix 3 charging port
– Additional super-long strap included: It’ll fit around dry suits, or perhaps a very bulky wetsuit

The Garmin Descent Mk1 is based on the Fenix 5X and is in a different body.

Mk1:
View attachment 582750

Fenix 5X:
View attachment 582751

There are a bunch of other hardware differences. See here:
Hands-on: Garmin’s New Descent MK1 Diving Watch

Not true. Look at the back of the watches. The Fenix 3 HR and the Descent have solid backs, the Fenix 5 has a split back. As I said before: the Descent has a Fenix 5x brain in a Fenix 3 HR body.

Yes. A single-bit error is enough to invalidate the whole packet if you don't have error-correcting-fu in the protocol.

The computer may be tracking your tank pressure just fine the rest of time, but if you aren't looking, how would you know? If a tree falls in a forest...

Because I download my dive data and it shows the AI data even for the times when I wasn’t looking at it.

Because I download my dive data and it shows the AI data even for the times when I wasn’t looking at it.

Yes for a while (actually most of a dive) we thought the issue was the i770, but then I took pictures over the shoulder of my dive buddy and her computer lost the link so we repeated and could reproduce every time when I used dual strobes.

Not true. Look at the back of the watches. The Fenix 3 and the Descent have solid backs, the Fenix 5 has a split back. As I said before: the Descent has a Fenix 5x brain in a Fenix 3 HP body.
I'm not buying your argument.

Every single review for the Mk1 when it was released stated it was a modified Fenix 5X. This information came from Garmin themselves.

DCRainmaker (linked above), who works closely with Garmin and other manufacturers, specifically states it starts with the 5X hardware. He then goes on to list what hardware modifications were made (and I quoted them above). One of those was:
– Charging port changed: In order to get the dive-focused 100m rating, they switched back to the Fenix 3 charging port
which is why the base of the Mk1 is more similar to the 3 rather than the 5X. He wouldn't have made this up and was most likely provided the detail by Garmin.

Those hardware modifications were not trivial.

Let's for a moment entertain the idea that the Mk1 hardware is based on the Fenix 3 HR. That would mean the following hardware modifications:
* Addition of Galileo and Gyroscope (both of which are in the 5X and Mk1) and the depth sensor.
* Upping the waterproofing standard
* Cosmetic changes to the look of the body

None of these are trivial and do not fit with "very little modification done to the Fenix 3 HR body". Adding AI is little more than adding the AI receiver, about as much effort as adding Galileo, Gyroscope or depth sensor.

Further, it has already been established (by devious people looking at Garmin's update servers) that there are two models of an Mk2 coming, probably called Mk2 and Mk2i. It is logical that one of those models (most likely the Mk2i) will have AI.

Believe what you read or spend a little time looking things over. Either way it's OK with me.

I am mainly focused on the one piece body of the Fenix 3/Descent vs the Fenix 5x with a separate backplate secured with 4 screws. Can you see what I'm talking about?

I am mainly focused on the one piece body of the Fenix 3/Descent vs the Fenix 5x with a separate backplate secured with 4 screws. Can you see what I'm talking about?
Yes, but as I have said twice already, one of the modifications to the 5X body for the Mk1 was to change the charging port to get the EN13319 compliance. This of course means the back of the Mk1 will look more like the 3 HR than the 5X.

Back
Top Bottom