Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the Garmin Mk2, It isn't even a file copy. Connect the Mk2 via USB and Subsurface can detect and import directly.
Yeah, I know. For some reason it doesn't work for me. Now my laptop is ancient, so that may have something to do with it, but Subsurface consistently fails to connect to the Garmin when connected via USB. The download via connect works fine for now. Most likely I'll replace that computer in the near future, so will probably give USB another shot then.

Agreed. While Garmin was supporting, I did upload a bit to the SSI app just to see. Definitely lacking compared to Subsurface.

Yeah, I find the note that Garmin pulled support to be a bit suspect. Still works just fine for Subsurface, and Garmin still allows for downloading and exporting the .fit files.
The Marqs and Descent don't make enough money for Garmin to spend any time on APIs for other software. I'm sure the Fenix alone outsells all of those 10 to 1.

The Marqs and Descent don't make enough money for Garmin to spend any time on APIs for other software. I'm sure the Fenix alone outsells all of those 10 to 1.
I get that. I wouldn't expect Garmin to spend time on APIs for other software. Currently, you can download any of the activities into a .fit file. That was how the SSI app was importing dives. This is also one of the ways it works with Subsurface, and likely other logging software. So, maybe SSI wanted them to create something special, but it really wasn't necessary.

So, maybe SSI wanted them to create something special, but it really wasn't necessary.
Considering they were able to integrate an existing API and it worked fine, no. In all likely hood it was basically the same as what they use to integrate with Strava just pulling different data.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered but I didn't find anything after a couple searches.

I had an issue with my first dive series with the Mk2i where it split a dive it shouldn't have, and all subsequent dives then had the wrong dive number. I am manually correcting those, but I'm curious if my next dive series (next week, yay!) will use the first free number in sequence after the edits are done, or if it 'remembers' which one it was on before so that all future dives will be the wrong number. Anyone know for sure?

I don't see any function to change the dive number 'seed' value so I'm worried I'll be doing this editing forever with this computer.

Answered my own question today with my first dives in Hawai'i. If you delete dives from the log, new dives will continue numbering from the oldest dive that's still present in the log, so no manual editing of dives after fixing the incorrect numbers on previous dives is required.

Does anyone have a charging stand for the MK2S? Can't seem to find one for this model.

Is it the same as a Mk2i? If so, Amazon has them for $15-20.
I believe so. I've searched Amazon and can't find the correct one for the MK2s. They seem to all be for the other models which have a different charging port connector.

In the pictures, the connection looks identical. I wonder if the sellers just don't list the mk2s' compatibility. They are fairly cheap, just try one.

This is the one I got for $15:

It lists the Mk2s in its title!

In the add it says also mk2s.

Edit: double with the post abovd

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom