Garmin Descent Mk2 vs Cressi Leonardo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interestingly, we dove on Friday lionfish hunting. The divemaster had the same watch as my daughter and he showed her that it was set the most conservative possible (the Garmin MK2s) - they set it middle of the road.

On the dive I was skirting NDL chasing two fish at 90 feet - we got them - but I was dismayed to see I actually went into deco. 3 minutes at 36 feet if I remember. Her Cressi did the same but her Garmin was good for another 5 minutes. She was wearing the Garmin at the same time as her Cressi. It was a pain in the rear - but necessary to clear all the deco obligations on the Cressi - 3 at 36 and 4 at 10 plus a safety stop.

Yes I was a dummy....

But when I got home I found out that my cressi wont download to my new Macbook air computer - apparently macOS Monterey is not supported and when I updated my computer it just wont launch the application.

I was proud my daughter followed her most conservative watch and we basically had the same deco obligations.

My wife got me a Garmin for an early fathers day - will be using it going forward - not because it is more liberal but because I can easily get the data off of it, and we will all be diving the same watches. The Leonardos will be going in the emergency dive watch dry box.

I did a dive in my work shop (see pic below) first dive of the day. Lol
- Garmin at 90 feet NDL 8 min, Suunto Zoop reading 92 feet NDL10 Min.
- Garmin conservatism was set to high, Zoop (RGBM) PO-0 both on air.

Edit: at this moment Garmin no-fly time remaining is 19:58 min, Zoop 4:13 min
Repetitive dives as you ascend NDL credit is quite a bit different, unfortunately I didn’t write them down. :-(

1653854549573.jpeg

but her Garmin was good for another 5 minutes.
Be careful, this is a VERY slippery road. Remember there have been numerous cases of people diving withing NDL who got DCS. Yes, chances are that it won't happen on the first time, but keep this attitude (squezze every possible minute out of the NDL) and eventually it will probably happen. Ask yourself : do I really want to risk seeing the interior of the local chamber?? If not, 5 minutes less bottom time is nothing.
After all, aren't there lionfish at 60 or 30 ft???

The Leonardos will be going in the emergency dive watch dry box.
A DC siting in a dry box is of low value should a problem with your main DC happens during a dive trip or multiple dives.
What I have done to my newton is to remove the straps and attach some thin bungee cords instead (to save space):
1653893297107.png

This way I can always bring it with me, either on my wrist or in my pocket or whatever.

Sorry, I just realized that I misread the original post. I mistakenly thought the Cressi was reading 7 minutes while the Garmin was reading 20. Given how conservative RGBM is, that might make sense. But the other way around? That seems odd to me if all the other settings (gas, conservatism) were the same.
Hello,
Please check if the safety factor is set to zero (SF0) which means that any extra conservative factor is disabled. See page 22 of the user guide: https://www.cressi.com/easyUp/file/instructions/IB_LEONARDO_EN.pdf
The SF can be set under the DIVE-S menu, see page 20.

Enjoy your dives.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom