Garmin Descent Mk1: Currently the best watch style dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it was a good video for sure, was just giving my opinion :-D
What is your objection to Shearwaters AI? Many of us are using it in some serious CCR and cave diving scenarios with no issue. Obviously only on backgas with 2 transmitters as a limiting factor, but it's been a game changer

Its not Shearwaters AI that I have an issue with, just AI in general. Using wireless technology to fix an issue that didn't exist (in the most part). I've used them in my first rebreather, and over the years we've seen them more and more. My experience has been that they become another point of failure and another piece of technology you need to consider. My view would potentially be slightly different if I didn't live/work diving in the Islands, and where getting hold of the batteries was less of an issue.... but fundamentally, how hard is it to look at an SPG? So on the top end dive computer, you can be paying $1000+ for the computer and then $300+ per transmitter to be able to check your air?

I guess I've just never encountered an SPG that ran out of battery at 140ft. But that's my personal view, and as such I don't use/value that feature. I expect that for everyone like me, there is going to be another person who uses them and swears by them. But its great to share views and understand other peoples perspectives and experiences

Even Bettridge's law says that the answer is no. Just kidding, maybe it is pretty nice? I prefer large screens over watch sized computers myself. It seems hard to believe Descent would be better than that shearwater watch style computer except in price. Like you said, opinions...

In the water I don't think the Descent is better than the Teric. The descent has all the same features (if ticking them off a list is your thing), but the Terics screen is better, but the Descents battery life is SOOOOOO much better. We had a client here before the shutdown with the Teric and he needed to recharge it every day or two. On the one day he forgot, I leant him my Descent (and teased him mercilessly). For me, working day in day out in the water, I wanted something I could wear as a dive computer that was always there (on me) and that had features I would use out of the water. I don't have (nor can afford) lots of watches, so this works best for me.

Interestingly, there is very little comment or debate about any other watch sized computer...

Thank you for this. I've been thinking about bringing a group to Carriacou; you've now helped me narrow down my choices of whom to dive with.

I would encourage you to think about Carriacou as a destination if you're looking for something off the beaten track. Most people enjoy it. If you choose to dive with someone other than me based on our interaction here on Scubaboard today, then it would probably be a good choice as there are other great operators here. If my post and comment offended you so much, then we probably would not get on anyway and both our experiences would be sub-optimal.

But every day brings new opportunities, so good luck in which ever direction you blow

In the water I don't think the Descent is better than the Teric. The descent has all the same features (if ticking them off a list is your thing), but the Terics screen is better, but the Descents battery life is SOOOOOO much better. We had a client here before the shutdown with the Teric and he needed to recharge it every day or two. On the one day he forgot, I leant him my Descent (and teased him mercilessly). For me, working day in day out in the water, I wanted something I could wear as a dive computer that was always there (on me) and that had features I would use out of the water. I don't have (nor can afford) lots of watches, so this works best for me.

Interestingly, there is very little comment or debate about any other watch sized computer...

That's interesting, I can normally do 3-4 days of diving (and resort wearing around the watch) before I need a charge on my Teric. I've had poor reliability and even worse warranty issues with Garmin (use a Forerunner for triathlon and edge for by bike) both have had issues. So has my Teric, however how the companies handled the claims are night and day differences. Shearwater overnighted me a brand new Teric, Garmin after a lengthy and drawn out process had me pay shipping and took 3 months to fix my edge. I'm very interested in the Mk2 and the next gen Teric as both are first generation devices for their respective companies, so I'm curious how round 2 will work for both. Outside of Gamin's outstanding aviation products, I have trust issues with their consumer products, but I applaud the competition and innovation they bring to the field.

@Gary_Ward fair enough if you have an issue getting the batteries. In sidemount cave diving, especially while on a scooter, it's really nice to not have to stop and have a 2-handed method required to check your gas

That's interesting, I can normally do 3-4 days of diving (and resort wearing around the watch) before I need a charge on my Teric. I've had poor reliability and even worse warranty issues with Garmin (use a Forerunner for triathlon and edge for by bike) both have had issues. So has my Teric, however how the companies handled the claims are night and day differences. Shearwater overnighted me a brand new Teric, Garmin after a lengthy and drawn out process had me pay shipping and took 3 months to fix my edge. I'm very interested in the Mk2 and the next gen Teric as both are first generation devices for their respective companies, so I'm curious how round 2 will work for both. Outside of Gamin's outstanding aviation products, I have trust issues with their consumer products, but I applaud the competition and innovation they bring to the field.

I have heard some great things about the customer service of Shearwater. I wonder how much of that is down to their Canadian culture or that they're still a relatively small company (on a global scale). I love my Petrel, and was happy to upgrade the Divesoft Freedom which came on my CCR to shearwater. I also really nearly bought the Teric too and it was a heck of a lot of backwards and forwards before I make my choice. But to say one computer (for me) is the best in the market does not suggest that any others are therefore rubbish. The choice in the market place for all levels of dive computers is really good, and at all budgets too. I too applaud development, and its interesting to see how quickly two relative 'newby's' to the dive industry are the ones that are shaking up the computer world, when all of the established boys played it safe and had slow product development.

The Teric is a dive computer that you “can” wear as a watch, which I’ve done while traveling but otherwise I’m not subjecting my dive computer to the everyday knocks.

The descent is a watch that you can wear diving, still subjected to knocks but I’ve heard it does well in that regard. HRM could be handy but I don’t think it’s going to be very effective in drysuit territory.

Apple Watch handles everything but dive, it’s not a big ass digital watch so handles knocks by avoiding them.

I prefer AI so if I were looking for another computer and the MK2 had it it would make the choice a bit harder but I would likely stick with SW.

Back
Top Bottom