Galvanized versus Painted Steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would stripping them and cold galvanizing (zinc) & painting (zinc) void the visual inspections. Will it pass another visual?

If the coating is not thick enough to hide the the stampings on the tank then it shouldn't be thick enough to hide any pits or gouges that would be cause for rejection.
The three coats of Galvalite do not hide any stamping on my tanks.

I think he is asking about VIP, not hydro.

As I understand, you have to get the new VIP once you touch an inside and outside of tank.

Actually, who cares! But, if your LDS knows what you did, they might require another VIP.
As you know, it is an industrial standard. It is totally upto them.

I think he is asking about VIP, not hydro.

As I understand, you have to get the new VIP once you touch an inside and outside of tank.

Actually, who cares! But, if your LDS knows what you did, they might require another VIP.
As you know, it is an industrial standard. It is totally upto them.

What I am saying is there is no reason that a VIP could not be done correctly with the coating. The hydro shop does mine (internal & external visual) and it never was an issue.

But on another post they said, In general, all VIP shops should reject any tank that as been modified/painted by a customer. I called the diveshop I bought them from and he told me not to heat the material, but If I strip and galvanized he'd be happy to look at the result and put a VIP stamp on it. (well... sticker)

We have been diving with painted and "unpainted" tanks for years and see no difference at all. All our tanks are stored in an outdoor shed not 150ft. from the ocean. We do not wash them off after use.
Maybe lucky???

So, now that this thread has been resurrected, I must ask....

Is this page from the Faber website just bogus marketing, or is there something to it?

For many years Faber had evaluated the possibility of hot dip galvanizing (HDG) its scuba diving cylinders. Extensive research has been carried out and many trials and tests have been performed in order to evaluate the industrial process and the performance of the coating in relation to the more commonly used hot zinc spraying process.

In the case of HDG, (Hot Dip Galvanizing) taking into account the large number of cylinders manufactured by Faber, would imply a considerable negative impact on the environment. In addition, the temperature at which the HDG is undertaken is quite high (around 450°C) and could affect the final properties of the steel cylinders (it is worth noting that most periodic inspection and test documents limit temperature of steel cylinders to around 350°C during all parts of the retest cycle).

HDG has also been known to cause an embrittlement of the steel material, due to the evolution of hydrogen during the initial pickling stage of the overall HDG process with the hydrogen getting absorbed into the steel.
On a separate note, when it comes to surface finish, our studies have shown that the performance of the top coat is not acceptable when applied on HDG treated cylinders. This is often related to the criticality of surface preparation when a top coat paint is applied.

Thus after careful deliberation of other available coating processes, Faber has decided not to adopt the HDG process and has instead optimized its production cycle involving hot zinc spraying coupled with a primer + top coat of paint, which gives the best trade-off between corrosion resistance and an attractive appearance.

Our clients appreciate and are accustomed to the winning look of Faber cylinders, not to mention the beneficial effects that our approach has towards the environment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom