Galvanized versus Painted Steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Florabama

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've heard that galvanized steel is much better than painted steel for resistance to corrosion in salt water.

I own two sets of Faber LP 95s and 108s, but if this is true, I may go for galvanized next time.

Any finish other then Hot Dip Galvanization is a distance second place.

I really don't see this as much of an issue outside of aesthetics. Painted tanks may look like crap after a few years, but if you maintain them (rinse after saltwater dives, touch up paint scrapes, etc) they will last just as well as galvanized. Sure are a ton of old steel painted tanks still diving:).

Jackie

Hoyden:
I really don't see this as much of an issue outside of aesthetics. Painted tanks may look like crap after a few years, but if you maintain them (rinse after saltwater dives, touch up paint scrapes, etc) they will last just as well as galvanized. Sure are a ton of old steel painted tanks still diving:).

Jackie

A ton? That's less than 60 tanks!

Hoyden:
if you maintain them (rinse after saltwater dives, touch up paint scrapes, etc) they will last just as well as galvanized....
.... as long as galvanized will if you perform no maintenance whatsoever :wink:

Painted tanks may work just fine, but you will get rust under any scratches or flakes and so forth. Galvanized *is* clearly better.

I would never buy an un-galvanized tank. Too much maintenance with paint.

I own four Fabers (painted), 8 PSTs and 3 old 72s (hot-dipped galvanized). I got sneaky rust under the paint on one of the Fabers; I spend way more time doing corrosion control on the four Fabers than the other 11 combined.
Would I buy another painted tank? Sure, but unless it's considerably less expensive than a hot-dipped galvanized one I'll get the hot-dipped tank every time.
Just as an aside, I have stripped my Faber 85's and repainted them with clear epoxy so they can't get any more sneaky rust. When they're due for their next hydro - this fall - I intend to strip 'em again and try ZRC on 'em. My two Faber 120's are still pristine and since my experience with the 85's I inspect them much more frequently and much more closely so I won't have the same rust problem.
Again, I wouldn't turn down painted tanks if I could get a really good deal on them, but unless it's a really good deal I'd get hot-dipped.
Rick

Very interesting topic.

Arn't the painted tanks cold-galvinized and then painted? So would the question be is hot dipped galvinized better then cold-galvinized?

Thanks everyone, for all the good information. Who makes the best galvanized tanks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom