Galvanized versus Painted Steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have painted fabers with nothing wrong with them..

But given the choice of a 'hot dip galvanized' for $35 more, I'd spend that $35 bucks.

Yeah, but if there is about $100 difference, it is hard to avoid Faber deal. :wink:

i'm in the process of cold galvanizing my tanks (doing it this weekend) got some old PST tanks at 70$ each with valve, free hydro and free visual. But, the paint as been flaked on some area about 25% on one tank. I work at a monumental steel structures factory. Went into the shop and spoke with my buddy foreman about stripping and painting them. Told me he could hot paint them....no. Could hot dipp galvanize....no(i dont think the resistance of the material could endure a second heating and cooling (*these tanks have like 4-5 hydros). Wanted to paint them only with primer on the flakes and then paint it with Tremclad (rustoleum in US). But I got the idea from the boys in the back to strip them all with abrassive grinder (low rpm ones) until the material but no further. Then cold galvanize them and use Vinyl Wash Primer (primer that actually sticks on Galvicon or Zinc primer *the green stuff) and then paint them with Rust Paint (Rustoleum or Tremclad) & finally clear coating.

? does this seem like something that will come off?

Wanted to paint them only with primer on the flakes and then paint it with Tremclad (rustoleum in US). But I got the idea from the boys in the back to strip them all with abrassive grinder (low rpm ones) until the material but no further. Then cold galvanize them and use Vinyl Wash Primer (primer that actually sticks on Galvicon or Zinc primer *the green stuff) and then paint them with Rust Paint (Rustoleum or Tremclad) & finally clear coating.

Check out this post. It might give some idea and make sure of posting yours.:blinking:

I am also in the middle of process, but the weather didn't cooperate yet.

Yeah, but if there is about $100 difference, it is hard to avoid Faber deal. :wink:

try a $150 difference.... per tank. on two tanks, that's a $300 savings.

hard to avoid...

why I have Fabers.

With XS Scuba buying Sea Pearls, they have the monopoly on being the distributor in the US for Worthington. Since they have 'no real competition', you won't see them lowering their prices.

try a $150 difference.... per tank. on two tanks, that's a $300 savings.

hard to avoid...

why I have Fabers.

With XS Scuba buying Sea Pearls, they have the monopoly on being the distributor in the US for Worthington. Since they have 'no real competition', you won't see them lowering their prices.

Exactly..... Good point. :lotsalove:

That's reason why we have been waiting for PST return..

yes... PST will help with competition

Faber (Blue Steel) is just doing a piss-poor-job with competition in the tank market now. I think half the tanks they sell now are already past the first year of hydro (from manufacturer date).

i'm in the process of cold galvanizing my tanks (doing it this weekend) got some old PST tanks at 70$ each with valve, free hydro and free visual. But, the paint as been flaked on some area about 25% on one tank. I work at a monumental steel structures factory. Went into the shop and spoke with my buddy foreman about stripping and painting them. Told me he could hot paint them....no. Could hot dipp galvanize....no(i dont think the resistance of the material could endure a second heating and cooling (*these tanks have like 4-5 hydros). Wanted to paint them only with primer on the flakes and then paint it with Tremclad (rustoleum in US). But I got the idea from the boys in the back to strip them all with abrassive grinder (low rpm ones) until the material but no further. Then cold galvanize them and use Vinyl Wash Primer (primer that actually sticks on Galvicon or Zinc primer *the green stuff) and then paint them with Rust Paint (Rustoleum or Tremclad) & finally clear coating.

Read this thread
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tanks-valves-bands/214416-properly-refinishing-steel-tanks-2.html

Strip the tanks to bare metal and roll on 3 coats of ZRC Galvalite. Doing anything else is a waste of time and money.

Would stripping them and cold galvanizing (zinc) & painting (zinc) void the visual inspections. Will it pass another visual?

Would stripping them and cold galvanizing (zinc) & painting (zinc) void the visual inspections. Will it pass another visual?

External treatments, as long they don't involve heat (or not more than minimal heat), should not affect the internal portion of a visual inspection.

A visual inspection is both internal and external, so whoever did it should be made aware of it, since you are going to need a new sticker anyway. IMO they should not charge for the new sticker, since it doesn't involve any extra work on their part...other than a quick look to the outside.

I agree with captain. Slathering stuff over galvalite will be a hassle down the road. What will you do when the outer coats are chipped or blistered, add dollops of various primers and topcoats to the bad spots? In two years, you got leprosy.

Back
Top Bottom