Galvanize Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Galvalite Project...
Twin 38s from Surplus WWII Oxygen Tanks
- I followed Captain's advice and refinished these with Galvalite over a year ago. They now have worn a patina in the rub points of the paint surface that looks like Sea Hunt Mike Nelsons tanks. No scratching or chipping so far but, I lay them on either wood or carpet... Not concrete. These DO have really old galvanize under the Galvalite. I blasted them with a fine mix of aluminum oxide and glass beads before painting. No primer as I understand the zinc paint creates a galvanic connection with the steel, so that the zinc corrodes instead of the steel.
Old38s05.jpg

Gotta love bushed down NGT O2 bottles. Nice finish. I will add that a perfect coating of zinc is nice, but not really necessary. The zinc is a sacrificial anode that protects the steel even if it is scratched of nicked up.

Tobin

My Galvalite Project...
Twin 38s from Surplus WWII Oxygen Tanks
- I followed Captain's advice and refinished these with Galvalite over a year ago. They now have worn a patina in the rub points of the paint surface that looks like Sea Hunt Mike Nelsons tanks. No scratching or chipping so far but, I lay them on either wood or carpet... Not concrete. These DO have really old galvanize under the Galvalite. I blasted them with a fine mix of aluminum oxide and glass beads before painting. No primer as I understand the zinc paint creates a galvanic connection with the steel, so that the zinc corrodes instead of the steel.
Old38s05.jpg

What kink of bands are you using and how are they connected to the back ( plate ) ?

---------- Post added July 1st, 2015 at 01:44 PM ----------

Just paint it, use a foam roller, 3 coats, cure for 2 weeks.

I'm concerened about filling in the stamped marks.

As you allready know about Galvanised tanks they are allready know they are hard to read.

Three coats and I don't think I will be able to read any of them.

Did you paint one coat then dry, and paint another coat then dry, ect. ect.

Bill
dead dog

Last edited:
- The bands are original US Divers that were vinyl coated. They were in pretty bad shape with rust under the vinyl. I soaked them in acetone to get the vinyl off. Then, I gave them the same sand blast prep as the tanks and painted them with the Galvalite. The harness shown is original. I have since then, made a new harness. This direct harness (rather than a back plate) is very comfortable and positions a double hose regulator perfectly against the back.
- Yes, the paint does fill in the lettering. I think if I had masked it off before rolling on the paint, I could have covered the lettering with a thin coat of silver. Or, just used a small brush to paint that area with Galvalite and make sure it doesn't pool in the letters.
Old38s06.jpg

That's cool, you have a US Diver's / Voit double tanks.

Bill
dead dog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom