Galvanize Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tobin, that sounds a little costly for a couple of 40+ year old tanks that maybe approaching end of life but thanks just the same.

There is no reason to expect a life expectancy of only 40+ years. Every indication is that if they are taken care of, they have no “end of life” expectancy.

Rust is the primary reason why a steel cylinder has to be removed from service and condemned. I am aware of commercial gas steel cylinders (alloy code 3A) that were built around the early 1900’s that are still in service.

Steel alloys do not degrade with time alone (only if they corrode) and the number filling cycles (even in a rental fleet) are not significant to fatigue the material.

I think shipping those tanks from RI to CA would cost $50.00 at least. These tanks have seen a lot of dives and a lot of overfills. The bottoms are pitted from the boots never being removed. I've had them for a few years now and use them quite a bit and still getting them overfilled. I had a 72 from 1968 fail hydro for not returning to the correct size after testing. That was my 1st tank and was used a LOT. I think the same thing will happen to one or both of these tanks. They were both made in 1968. I'm unwilling to put much money into the pair even though they are favorites of mine. Thanks

Pretty sure there are thermal spray applicators all over the country. I would expect job shops in areas with a marine industry.

As long as you haven't exceeded the elastic limit of the steel (really hard to do at pressure under the hydro pressure) overfills don't shorten the life of a steel tank. The fatigue life of steel is essentially unlimited.

I have an O2 Supply bottle that was born in 1906…...

Pits are another issue. Hard to say without seeing them.

Tobin

I think shipping those tanks from RI to CA would cost $50.00 at least. These tanks have seen a lot of dives and a lot of overfills. The bottoms are pitted from the boots never being removed. I've had them for a few years now and use them quite a bit and still getting them overfilled. I had a 72 from 1968 fail hydro for not returning to the correct size after testing. That was my 1st tank and was used a LOT. I think the same thing will happen to one or both of these tanks. They were both made in 1968. I'm unwilling to put much money into the pair even though they are favorites of mine. Thanks

If they were galvanized cylinders, I bet they did not follow the proper pre-test procedure.
Steel cylinders failing hydro is actually very rare, unless they were in a fire or other similar heat exposure.
If they follow the correct pre-test procedure, fatigue alone should not affect the life of a cylinder. The number of cycles are very low, even if you fill the tank every day for the last 40 years.

How much over filling are you talking about?

If you are reasonably below the hydro test pressure, you are below the yield stress.

Last edited:
Tobin, Thanks I'll look into that around here. I hear we build ships here in RI so maybe I'll get lucky. Was the cost of prep in the price or did you grit blast them yourself? I wouldn't call the condition of these tanks good, more like serviceable if you get my meaning. The pitting has passed VIP each year. The set had just returned from hydro test when I bought them a few years ago so the hydro test techs were ok with them too. I suppose I could get the tanks UT'd for thickness to be certain but, again there's the cost issue. I live paycheck to paycheck so fun money what little there is of it needs to spent wisely.

The overfills aren't outrageous just constant, usually 2000psi, 200psi over rated. I was told by the LDS owner that he'd been filling those tanks like that for years, which is fine with me but, since that 72 failed I've been a little leery of old well worn used tanks, which is funny because the newest tanks I have were made in 1981.

Luis, that 72 saw a LOT of service. It was the only tank I owned for probably the 1st 10 years of diving even after I got another it was still used quite a bit and always over filled a few hundred psi over. That tank was filled 3 times a day 3-4 days out of 7 at least during the summer every week for 3 months. I didn't do anything but dive and work sometime both at the same time for the 1st 3 years after getting certified. That tank has more dives on it then most posters on SB do.

It was a Scubapro who made it for them I don't know but it was in 1968 so I'm pretty sure you know. I actually had a second different hydro facility retest it has a favor to me for confirmation and it failed again the same way. I was there this time and watched the whole process and not one step was missed.

Tobin, Thanks I'll look into that around here. I hear we build ships here in RI so maybe I'll get lucky. Was the cost of prep in the price or did you grit blast them yourself? I wouldn't call the condition of these tanks good, more like serviceable if you get my meaning. The pitting has passed VIP each year. The set had just returned from hydro test when I bought them a few years ago so the hydro test techs were ok with them too. I suppose I could get the tanks UT'd for thickness to be certain but, again there's the cost issue. I live paycheck to paycheck so fun money what little there is of it needs to spent wisely.

The overfills aren't outrageous just constant, usually 2000psi, 200psi over rated. I was told by the LDS owner that he'd been filling those tanks like that for years, which is fine with me but, since that 72 failed I've been a little leery of old well worn used tanks, which is funny because the newest tanks I have were made in 1981.

Luis, that 72 saw a LOT of service. It was the only tank I owned for probably the 1st 10 years of diving even after I got another it was still used quite a bit and always over filled a few hundred psi over. That tank was filled 3 times a day 3-4 days out of 7 at least during the summer every week for 3 months. I didn't do anything but dive and work sometime both at the same time for the 1st 3 years after getting certified. That tank has more dives on it then most posters on SB do.

It was a Scubapro who made it for them I don't know but it was in 1968 so I'm pretty sure you know. I actually had a second different hydro facility retest it has a favor to me for confirmation and it failed again the same way. I was there this time and watched the whole process and not one step was missed.

My costs included the prep, but are 5-6 years old.

Tobin

For a tank in good condition the hydro pressure is well below the elastic limit.

If the hydro pressure exceeded the elastic limit no tank would pass.

Tobin
That is not correct.

During hydro the vast majority of the cylinders experience a very small amount of plastic deformation (permanent deformation). If they were “well below the elastic limit”, there would only be elastic deformation. There would be no residual permanent expansion.

I started doing hydro’s (working at a dive shop, long before I got my engineering degrees) and in my experience very few cylinders return 100% without any plastic deformation.

The only cylinder that always return 100%, all the time is the calibration cylinder used every day a hydro is going to be performed. That cylinder is designed to truly operate within the elastic range for the hydro machines operating pressures.

I have also done the stress calculations and compared the results to the published minimum yield strength for the design material. The hydro stress seems to fall at the low end of the transition in the stress-strain curve.

The yield stress of a material is not a single point. The published data is normally for the minimum, but there is actually a transition.

The purpose of the hydro test is to determine how elastic is the material condition of the cylinder and therefore the test (by design) has to stress the cylinder to the lower acceptable elastic limit. By precisely measuring how much plastic deformation occurs at that stress level, we can approximately determine the material condition.

The hydro pass-fail criteria is a relatively conservative measure intended to determine that the stress (at the test pressure) is “mostly” within the elastic range of the material. Very little permanent (plastic) deformation is allowed.

The most common steel used under 3AA code is AISI 4130. Per CFR 49 section 1783.37:

(2) For cylinders with service pressure
of 900 psig or more the minimum
wall must be such that the wall stress
at the minimum specified test pressure
may not exceed 67 percent of the minimum
tensile strength of the steel as
determined from the physical tests required
required in paragraphs (k) and (l) of this
section and must be not over 70,000 psi.
(3) Calculation must be made by the
formula:
S = [P(1.3D2+0.4d2)]/(D2-d2)
Where:
S = wall stress in psi;
P = minimum test pressure prescribed for
water jacket test or 450 psig whichever is
the greater;
D = outside diameter in inches;
d = inside diameter in inches.

For example.

The stress level of a typical 3AA cylinder using the equation shown [ S = [P(1.3D2+0.4d2)]/(D2-d2) ] is 66,322 psi.

Data: OD= 6.83 in, minimum t=0.164 in., ID=6.502 in. test pressure P=3750 psi

If I use the classic hoop stress calculation (S = P*r / t) , the stress is actually higher at 74,119psi.

BTW, I am not at work, so I do not have access to a lot of data, but a published yield strength data I found for this alloy (AISI 4130) is 63,100 psi.

The fatigue life of steel is essentially unlimited.

Tobin
This is also inaccurate or basically incorrect.

The S-N (stress versus number of cycles) curves are available for some chrome-molybdenum steel alloys, similar to the material used on pressure vessels.

If what you are trying to say is that the number of cycles in scuba cylinder application is very small and therefore its fatigue strength life seems enormous, OK, but saying that it is unlimited (or essentially unlimited), is far from the facts.

I suppose I could get the tanks UT'd for thickness to be certain …
Normally you would not need to do UT (ultrasound Testing) on a cylinder, just to determine if they are OK. The hydro test is sufficient.

I have done UT on most of my cylinders, but it was specifically to obtain the average wall thickness on a statically significant number cylinders, so that I could calculate accurate REE (Rejection Elastic Expansion) numbers for my steel 72’s.

Now that I have about a dozen cylinders measured (6 made by PST and 6 by Norris), I have fairly good REE data for PST and Norris cylinders.

With this information my LDS can “+” stamp any cylinder of the same type by the same manufacturer.

The overfills aren't outrageous just constant, usually 2000psi, 200psi over rated.
Are you taking about cylinders that are stamped 1800 psi and you are filling them to 2000psi? That is not really an overfill.

If you are talking about filling a 2250 psi (with normal 10% fill of about 2500 psi) with 200 psi extra to 2700 psi. That is OK too. That is still relatively low.

I was told by the LDS owner that he'd been filling those tanks like that for years, which is fine with me but, since that 72 failed I've been a little leery of old well worn used tanks, which is funny because the newest tanks I have were made in 1981.

Let’s assume 3 dives a day, every day of the year (365 days), for 10 years. That is only 10,950 fill cycles.

Fatigue data (in S-N curves) doesn’t start to be significant until about 10 times that. That is just where it starts.

The designed working stress level (at the design working pressure) of a cylinder is around 60% of yield.

The stresses in a pressure cylinder are always positive, they are not reversing stresses (like the reversing stresses experience in a vibrating object). The fatigue life with Non-reversing stresses is higher than with the classical S-N curves, but the data is limited.

With the limited information I have, I am going to guess that the cylinder was galvanized and that neither hydro facility actually did the pre-test load (pre-stretch) cycle. Many hydro stations didn’t used to do it (many still don’t if you don’t insist on it).

The pre-test procedure (used for galvanized cylinders) requires pre-loading the cylinder to 90%of the test pressure and holding it there for a few minutes, just before the test. For a steel 72 (stamped 2250psi) the test pressure is 3750 psi and the pre-test is 3375 psi.

The issue is with galvanized cylinders (most commercial cylinders are not galvanized). The hot dipped galvanizing zinc coating behaves like a composite material and affects the elastic behavior of the cylinder. For testing purpose, it has been determined that pre-stretching the cylinder just before testing provides more acute results.

PST and Worthington cylinder manufacturers have provided guidance on how this procedure should be performed.

Very little permanent (plastic) deformation is allowed.

OK, very little.

If what you are trying to say is that the number of cycles in scuba cylinder application is very small and therefore its fatigue strength life seems enormous, OK, but saying that it is unlimited (or essentially unlimited), is far from the facts.

Once again, for the subject under discussion, scuba tanks, the fatigue life is as I stated, essentially unlimited.

If we were discussing the high pressure cylinders for my water jet pump intensifiers, which cycle between ~50 psi and 60,000 psi ~10 time a minute, I'd use different terms. These typically fail at about 800 hours, or ~48K cycles.

The fact remains that damn few scuba tanks will be cycled more than once in 24 hours and most will be cycled a couple times a year......

Tobin

I'll also add that steel scuba tanks don't "wear out" from normal use, i.e. even fairly frequent filling, retesting, etc. Steel tanks fail because of abuse, mostly rust, less commonly heat dents etc. Rust reduces the section and it stretches when retested.

Or the retester screws up. Divers fail to realize that galvanized scuba tanks make up a vanishingly small percentage of the cylinders a typical hydro station sees in year.

Last edited:
Years ago I experimented with zinc electroplating an un galvanized steel military O2 cylinder. My rather crude set up worked pretty well to plate the cylinder but I am not sure about the film thickness. Since then I have just used Galvilite. I also investigated flame spraying. I believe it is the process one of the European cylinder makers use as a base under paint. In the long run painting with Galvilite was cheaper and more convienent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nyp7vtNUQQ

My Galvalite Project...
Twin 38s from Surplus WWII Oxygen Tanks
- I followed Captain's advice and refinished these with Galvalite over a year ago. They now have worn a patina in the rub points of the paint surface that looks like Sea Hunt Mike Nelsons tanks. No scratching or chipping so far but, I lay them on either wood or carpet... Not concrete. These DO have really old galvanize under the Galvalite. I blasted them with a fine mix of aluminum oxide and glass beads before painting. No primer as I understand the zinc paint creates a galvanic connection with the steel, so that the zinc corrodes instead of the steel.
Old38s05.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom