Galvanize Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dead dog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
What is the best way to clean ( prep ) Galvanize tanks for painting ?

Does it need a primer coat first ?

I bought some ZRC Galvilite Bright Silver Cold Galvanizing paint to do the job.

Thanks in advance,

Bill
dead dog

Just paint it, use a foam roller, 3 coats, cure for 2 weeks.

What is the best way to clean ( prep ) Galvanize tanks for painting ?

Does it need a primer coat first ?

I bought some ZRC Galvilite Bright Silver Cold Galvanizing paint to do the job.

Thanks in advance,

Bill
dead dog

The tanks are galvanized. If it was me I'd leave them alone. I *might* touchup the gal if it was missing in large areas with some zinc rich paint.

Tobin

Leave'em, I've got galvanized tanks from the 1970's never do a thing but hose'em down.

Galvilite is a zinc rich paint, the best on the market. I agree if the galvanize is in good shape leave it alone but many times old tanks have damage to the galvanize under boots and double bands. It does no harm to paint them with Galvilite.

Captain, I have two of those old USD yellow epoxy 50cf tanks. I'm going to grit blast them soon and refinish them. Would this ZRC Galvilite Bright Silver Cold Galvanizing paint do the job?

I'll add that while ZRC is pretty good it's paint and will need to be maintained.

I've been quite pleased wit steel tanks that I have had sand blasted and flame sprayed with zinc. Almost, but not quite hot dipped.

They can a be a little like 80 grit sand paper when you first get them back from the thermal sprayer, but it's easy to burnish down the roughness with a big round hard piece of steel. I use a 1" diameter dowel pin about 5 inches long.

Google "flame sprayed metals" if you are seeking an applicator.

Aqualab in SoCal can arraign to have it done.

Tobin

Tobin, that sounds a little costly for a couple of 40+ year old tanks that maybe approaching end of life but thanks just the same.

Tobin, that sounds a little costly for a couple of 40+ year old tanks that maybe approaching end of life but thanks just the same.

IIRC I paid ~$50 per tank, ~6 years ago. The tanks were "born" in 1979 or older, some much older.

Still going strong today.

Tobin

IIRC I paid ~$50 per tank, ~6 years ago. The tanks were "born" in 1979 or older, some much older.

Still going strong today.

Tobin

I think shipping those tanks from RI to CA would cost $50.00 at least. These tanks have seen a lot of dives and a lot of overfills. The bottoms are pitted from the boots never being removed. I've had them for a few years now and use them quite a bit and still getting them overfilled. I had a 72 from 1968 fail hydro for not returning to the correct size after testing. That was my 1st tank and was used a LOT. I think the same thing will happen to one or both of these tanks. They were both made in 1968. I'm unwilling to put much money into the pair even though they are favorites of mine. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom