Galapagos on a CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jorge.a.mahauad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
A Galapagos liveaboard is the "ultimate" dive experience in the Galapagos and what you see has no comparison with anything in the world!!; on the other hand, diving from the inhabited islands is also very good (in terms of marine life) and definitely cheaper. This also gives you more flexibility in the activities on the islands. So different choices, not one "better" than the other. The Galapagos Islands are famous because of close encounters with big animals. This reputation was created mainly by divers in OC.

Just imagine what we can do on a CCR… Personally I think that if you want to boost your experience, THE way to go is a CCR trip.

I am an independent freelance instructor working in the Galapagos and Ecuador mainland. I can organize and serve as a tour leader for you on CCR trips. CCR diving is NOT common practice here in the Islands. I am probably the only active CCR instructor in Ecuador and I'm just beginning to operate this kind of trips. I intend to change this but as CCR divers you know this requires preparation, patience, time and money.

I use established tour operators in the islands that are reputable. I have no affiliation with them, in employment nor in company share. My business is the satisfaction of the team diving with me and my personal branding. My main function is to make the tour operators "CCR friendly" by providing my own equipment, support and knowledge; this is the reason why you can expect the most objective and professional advice, planning and execution.

For CCR diving I provide O2 @ 200 bar, absorbent and technical support. The diluent we normally use for the dive profiles is air and I try not to go into long decompression schedules; average dive time is 90 min. More advanced technical diving can also be planned and executed. Everything is done under request and personallized to fit the team's needs.

If you are interested please email (jorgeantoniomw at gmail.com) or PM me. You can learn about who I am and what I do by visiting my blog: Buceo Avanzado en Ecuador y Galápagos

Jorge A. Mahauad
(+593)99839347

OFFERING PADI/DSAT, SDI/TDI & RAID DIVER CERTIFICATIONS

New!! AP DIVING EVOLUTION & INSPIRATION CCR / TDI EXTENDED RANGE / DSAT TEC TRIMIX / SIDEMOUNT Courses

PADI Master Instructor 190874
Tec Trimix, Tec Deep Diver, Gas Blender & Sidemount Instruction

TDI Extended Range Instructor 14616
Evolution & Inspiration Rebreather Instruction

RAID Sport Instructor
Recreational Rebreather Instruction

Last edited:
In april I made a post about my CCR friendly operation. Post was published here. Some time has passed and I wanted to update on the information provided.

A few days ago I received here in the Galapagos Islands a few kegs of Sofnolime 8-12. I also imported some 2 and 3 litter cylinders. I have spent the last few months figuring out a reliable medical grade oxygen supply, the import costs of sorb, etc. With this import complete and all the major concerns figured out, I can proudly say that full support for rebreather divers is now available in the Galapagos Islands.

The items to be provided to CCR divers here are:

2 or 3 litter steel cylinders with AP valves
6 or 10 cubic meter cylinders with medical grade O2
Haskell Sport Booster with filling whips
Sofnolime 8 – 12 mesh (1 – 2.5mm) Expiry date is 2014
Required fittings and adapters
Non O2 clean trans-filling whip for diluent cylinders

If you need any further support regarding bookings, logistics, advice or guidance I’m more than happy to help. If you require more information please go to my blog

Hope to meet you soon down here,
Jorge A. Mahauad

Just an update on how this is going. A few months ago PADI Course Director Andy Phillips contacted me for a rebreather trip to the Galapagos Islands. After sorting out the import of Sofnolime and rebreather cylinders, finding a reliable source of medical grade oxygen and many other main points of rebreather support service was confirmed to Andy. He finally arrived here on August 12. Andy is the first rebreather diver that was fully supported directly from the Galapagos Islands by a local rebreather diver and instructor.

From August 13 to 15 we completed a series of rebreather check dives in the Galapagos. Dive sites were Mosquera and Gordon Rocks. A four dives with a total of 228 minutes runtime (3,8 hours) were performed using air as diluent and to a maximum depth 36 meters.

The dives during this two days was performed as check dives for a liveaboard to Darwin and Wolf. Andy is bringing his Megalodon to the northern islands famous for the encounters with mega fauna such as whale sharks, big schools of hammerhead sharks, Galapagos sharks and silky sharks. During these first few days we encountered small schools of hammerhead sharks, mantarray, black tip reef sharks, white tip reef sharks and eagle rays.

I wrote a more complete report in my blog.

Hi there,

Well the title of the thread says it all. We are organizing our first rebreather friendly liveaboard open to independent CCR divers here in the Galapagos Islands.

As you all know, the Galapagos Islands are a world famous hotspot for encounters with marine mega fauna. The highlights usually are big schools of hammer head and Galapagos sharks. Giant Manta Rays, Silky, White Tip and Whale Sharks are highly probable sightings as well. Other probable encounters are Orcas and bottle nose dolphins.

I think the close encounters possible with a rebreather are a great opportunity for underwater imaging, naturalist oriented observers and enthusiasts seeking intimate experiences with marine wildlife.

Dates are August 22th to 29th 2011 and the boat of choice is the Humboldt Explorer. We can accommodate up to 8 rebreather divers on this boat. The other 8 spaces will be used by Open Circuit divers.

If you find this interesting please follow this link. It will take you to my blog where the expedition, price, etc. are explained with more detail.

If you have any questions regarding the trip please do not hesitate to contact me here, send a PM, use the contact information in the post.

Dive safe,
Jorge

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom