G250 breathes great no purge????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had never got close to G250 physically but from the video it probably has more parts than Apeks. I hate clips because they are tiny and fiddle to play around.

I was pretty short sighted before and as old age catching up, reading glasses is a must. So I don't expect too much from my poor eye sight!!!!!
Cheers.

I had never got close to G250 physically but from the video it probably has more parts than Apeks. I hate clips because they are tiny and fiddle to play around.

I was pretty short sighted before and as old age catching up, reading glasses is a must. So I don't expect too much from my poor eye sight!!!!!
Cheers.

Less parts, certainly than a 50/100/200. If you overhaul one and replace the c clip, you'll likely not have to replace it ever again.

Last edited:
Ditto the 156/BA which uses 2 less O rings and no flow vane.

3 less. ;-)

Could be. my diaphragm is rubber with a metal disc in the center.

On the 109/balanced adjustable, there is a rubber (maybe some synthetic rubber) purge cover with a metal disc (it has the SP logo) but all the diaphragms are silicone. I've never seen a SP reg with a diaphragm that's not silicone. Not saying it doesn't exist, just never seen one.

Getting back to the OP, there are only two possibilities; the lever height is really low or the purge mechanism itself is not working correctly. If the lever height was really low, that would likely make inhalation effort really high. I guess it's possible if there was a wrong style lever in there, it could be too low for the purge but not so tight as to affect the breathing effort. That's probably a long shot.

Anyhow, it's easy to check. Adjust the orifice so that it just barely does not free flow without the diaphragm in place. There should be basically no play in the lever, maybe just a bit. Then put the diaphragm on and cover and see if it flows. If so, you have to tighten the orifice and drop the lever height. If you have to do that substantially, like maybe more than 1/4 turn, there's a lever/poppet incompatibility issue. But that's more common on a 109. Most of the G250s I've seen have a lever that works fine with the s wing poppet.

If when you put the diaphragm in place after adjusting the orifice, there is a lot of play between the diaphragm and the lever, that probably means you need a new lever.

This is assuming the feet are catching correctly with the tabs in the poppet. I've never seen one breathe even close to normal without them being lined up right, so I would be skeptical that this is his problem. But you never know.

So it looks like there is a large gap between the diaphragm and the purge button. It also looks like my diaphragm is slightly collapsed which is why I can't raise the lever farther without initiating a free flow but keeps it breathing easy. Any ideas on how to straighten out the diaphragm or should I just get a replacement?

Last edited:
ummmm..... that is a G250HP..... and a bunch different from a G250..... There is a whole extra bit of tuning on the other end.. and that is why I avoid them...

Got it sorted out thanks for all the input! The feet were actually bent down so I took the whole thing apart again and straightened out the feet so that they were level with the lever after the bend and now it will all but blow your teeth out when you hit the purge button. Thank you everyone for your input I would have never figured it out without your help.

no no no no, you do not bend the lever.....

(I will say this so others attempting to fix/tune these regs read this. If it worked for you, so be it, but that is not the "fix")

Back
Top Bottom