G250 breathes great no purge????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I picked up a G-500 in cherry condition the other day while buying for the 1st stage.

I haven't taken the cover off yet, I think it had the same metal air barrel IIRC from back in the day.

Rebuild parts should be the same as the G-250, correct?

You have my envy. The G-500 is one of my favorite regulators. When I see a decent one at a reasonable price I always try to purchase it.

Anyway back to your question. The G-500 came in two versions: the US and the Italian. The US version has the metal air barrel, the Italian does not. The Italian went on to become the S-600. I don't have and never used the US version but from what people say, it was even better than the Italian version. It should use the same rebuilt kit as the G-250 HP, S-600, etc.

A friendly warning. My experience is that when purchasing a G-500 in good condition, the regulator has not been used in years. The first stage is almost always an older MK-20. The older MK-20 needs to have the saddle recall done to it and usually has the older less desirable brass piston. So when purchasing you may want to keep the cost of the composite piston in the back of your mind.

If it is more expensive then it must be better!!!
Same happen to Apeks 2nd stages.

I don't have any of the XTX versions, I do have one or two ATX but most of mine are the older TX models, which I prefer. I never disassembled the ATX but I thought the only difference was the adjuster was replaced with the micro adjuster.

I don't have any of the XTX versions, I do have one or two ATX but most of mine are the older TX models, which I prefer. I never disassembled the ATX but I thought the only difference was the adjuster was replaced with the micro adjuster.
I have both TX and ATX models and the main difference is the smaller size of the ATX’s body. The micro adjuster is only applied to the 100/200 series. As for the XTX. the difference is also cosmetic with no improvement in performance.
The TX body are tough.
My preference of Apkes over others is the simplicity of their service kits. Two kits fit nearly all popular models.

The 1st stage is a MK-10 Plus. I got a good deal on it. The G-500 is nearly new, hardly a scratch on the case. I popped the cover, it is the METAL air barrel! YAY!!!!

The 1st stage is a MK-10 Plus. I got a good deal on it. The G-500 is nearly new, hardly a scratch on the case. I popped the cover, it is the METAL air barrel! YAY!!!!

Oh no, a MK10 Plus. I'm struggling with mine, ip is all over the place despite three rebuilds. Seems very finnicky in regards to ip stability, an apparent known issue. Good luck.

It's a shame as it's an almost new rare satin version. I've got 6 MK10s and the plus. I've had limited success with piston regs and am in the process of getting rid of them. It seems piston regs and I simply don't get along very well. I've had issues with an Atomic first stage and a MK25. No issues to speak of with any diaphragm regs I've owned/own.

It's a shame as it's an almost new rare satin version. I've got 6 MK10s and the plus. I've had limited success with piston regs and am in the process of getting rid of them. It seems piston regs and I simply don't get along very well. I've had issues with an Atomic first stage and a MK25. No issues to speak of with any diaphragm regs I've owned/own.

Wow. I thought you like Apeks. What happened? Now you have MK-10s and Conshelfs and G-250s. Next you will buying a few double-hoses. lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom