G250 breathes great no purge????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't speak as to weather that is a real SP diaphragm or not it was a hand me down reg and that's how I got it. It wasn't exactly hard to bend and I am sure I could have done it with just my fingers but for the sake of caution I used wide flat pliers to just bring the two prongs up to what looked like level. I think I might order a new diaphragm when it's time to rebuild this reg and see if that changes anything. Worst case I have a backup diaphragm right?

The honking/rattling sound is the new style diaphragm vibrating against the lever fingers (I like that term.) It should stop when under water. The fix would be to install the older style diaphragm.

For some reason, SP decided to not only change the diaphragm to a clear skirt, but also put an additional amount of clearance between the diaphragm disc and the lever. That irritating honking is also evident in the AIR 2s that are outfitted with a similar design.

I remembered that the regular G250 and G250hp share the same case, so I checked the one I have at home and the lever looks to be in basically the same position your's is in. I can just get a piece of paper over the open case and under the lever. With a standard diaphragm, there is no clearance between the disc and lever. With the clear diaphragm there is about 1/8 of an inch gap which allows the flutter.

I'm changing my guess to a bent lever causing the problem......never mind the engraved seat. :)

Last edited:
I'll post a photo tonight.

So you bent the tenticals/fingers/arms, you've delt with the symptom but not the cause.

I never bend the tenticals ( I like tenticals seems apt given it's diving). As a matter of course I replace the lever on all my G250s with G260 ones, unlike Apple, they just work. I Also as a matter of course replace all orifices with G250V ones. Orifices and levers have given me the most trouble. A G260 lever with G250V orifice and S-Wing poppet with long one piece black balance chamber always works (on a G250), not much help to you given it's a G250 HP but the info may be helpful to offers.

Last edited:
From what I remember the G-250 HP was a G-250 case with the plastic air barrel and internals of the first generation S-600 (and the Italian G-500). Scubapro used to make a kit to convert the G-250 to a G-250 HP, if you can find the documentation for that it may explain were the lever should be set to.

:(

Thanks for not calling it an upgrade.

It is funny. People give the G-250 HP no love but yet love the S-600. They are identical regulators except for the case and diaphragm, the G-250 HP has a bigger case. I have them both and frankly can tell no difference between them.

It is funny. People give the G-250 HP no love but yet love the S-600. They are identical regulators except for the case and diaphragm, the G-250 HP has a bigger case. I have them both and frankly can tell no difference between them.
If it is more expensive then it must be better!!!
Same happen to Apeks 2nd stages.

Owning a S555 which was converted to a S600 as well as a G250HP (both of which came to me as "extra parts" in things I was buying), I really don't find them any better than my beloved 109/156/g250/g250 graphite/g250v stages, which I have many. I upgraded the S555 to get a metal air barrel in it, but likely could have just set it aside as a warm water regulator.

I don't care for the added complexity/parts/tools for servicing & tuning this regulator.

I don't care for the added complexity/parts/tools for servicing & tuning this regulator.

That is why they don't get any "love" from me either. It's not as though the HPs are bad-but there was nothing except complexity added to the G250 to transform it into an HP. Complexity that did not improve it's performance one iota. The HP's extra parts count and loss of parts commonality with a long line of dependable regulators was not an upgrade.

Last edited:
Mine is marked G-250 and has the metal air barrel but has the big knob with the extra adjustment so it's an HP as far as I am concerned. It is a transitional model before they went to the polymer air barrel.

I have the adjustment tool so no biggie. The big downgrade for me is the poly air barrel. I rarely dive salt so the loss of moisture is more of a downgrade compared to corrosion resistance. And If I do dive salt and use it, I will just be sure and flush it out really good. BFD.

I dove mine the other day, it breathes great, like any other G-250 in good working order.

I picked up a G-500 in cherry condition the other day while buying for the 1st stage.

I haven't taken the cover off yet, I think it had the same metal air barrel IIRC from back in the day.

Rebuild parts should be the same as the G-250, correct?

Back
Top Bottom