???Future of Open Circuit Mixed Gas and Rebreather Diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There’s lots of diving instructors willing to teach 60m air diving, they’re just not willing to come on here and listen to the hater’s. Can’t say I’d blame them.

It’s not haters/deniers vs cultists, we’re not talking about climate mythology here.

We are talking about rebreathers consuming 5% of the helium that OC consumes, therefore it’s utterly moot as helium even at today’s prices is cheap for someone with a rebreather.

Diving the Justicia (aka The Dutch Titanic) at 67m/220ft is just not done without helium as the only people diving it nowadays are rebreather divers. Even if helium was £$€1 per litre we'd still use helium (50% of 100 litres is £$€50 = 1.75 cubic feet)

BTW, the two boats serving Malin, Ireland would not now be able to provide enough helium for an open circuit diver diving the classics. Truth be told, they’d even struggle to provide the oxygen for OC

I think our deep air friend is just that mac64 guy with a new login. They're both from ireland and both think deep air is the tits

I think our deep air friend is just that mac64 guy with a new login. They're both from ireland and both think deep air is the tits
I see tits on deep air! Best show on earth :D

It’s not haters/deniers vs cultists, we’re not talking about climate mythology here.

We are talking about rebreathers consuming 5% of the helium that OC consumes, therefore it’s utterly moot as helium even at today’s prices is cheap for someone with a rebreather.

Diving the Justicia (aka The Dutch Titanic) at 67m/220ft is just not done without helium as the only people diving it nowadays are rebreather divers. Even if helium was £$€1 per litre we'd still use helium (50% of 100 litres is £$€50 = 1.75 cubic feet)

BTW, the two boats serving Malin, Ireland would not now be able to provide enough helium for an open circuit diver diving the classics. Truth be told, they’d even struggle to provide the oxygen for OC
There’s 6 wrecks on the high ground East of Malin all less than 60m. You can train to dive air at 60m and 100 euro of helium can bring all the mayor wrecks off Malin inside an END of 60m. There’s private boats going to all the Malin wrecks diving every summer. Do you seriously believe people were waiting for rebreathers to come along before diving those wrecks.

Attachments

• IMG_0255.jpeg
    IMG_0255.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 46
At least you got that right. I wouldn’t have had to change it, if some informer hadn’t sent detectives to my house. But that’s another day’s work.
P.S. Heading off diving now for another week as we’re having an Indian summer. And I’m going to do it on free air.

There’s 6 wrecks on the high ground East of Malin all less than 60m. You can train to dive air at 60m and 100 euro of helium can bring all the mayor wrecks off Malin inside an END of 60m. There’s private boats going to all the Malin wrecks diving every summer. Do you seriously believe people were waiting for rebreathers to come along before diving those wrecks.
My point is that the world's moved on.

Years ago there was no choice but to dive deep air on open circuit.
Then came cheap helium when the US sold off their reserves and deep safe technical diving became a thing
Then came good, reliable rebreathers and deep, safe CCR diving became a thing
Then came expensive and very hard to get hold of helium which precludes OC divers from helium
Then the norm was diving rebreathers for deep dives; helium no longer an issue as so little is consumed

The future will be very scarce and consequential very expensive helium. Who knows what will happen to deep technical diving in 20 years.

Once you've dived deep with very reduced narcosis by using rich helium diluent, you certainly don't want to go back to being narked off your face and breathing high gas densities, certainly not on a rebreather.

One subnote: I'm talking about "recreational" technical diving where "I" choose to book on and do it.

You're very much talking about "commercial" diving where you're doing a single task for a job and will be supervised by the surface dive supervisor and his team including a kitted up, ready-to-jump standby diver.

Episode out 18th September 12:00 AM (EST)

In this Round Table episode, I sit back and listen to some of the biggest pioneers in the industry speaking about the future of Open Circuit Mixed Gas and Rebreather diving.

Is there a future for Open Circuit Mixed Gas or is it yesterday's news? Are dual rebreathers becoming the standard for future explorations? Is it time for a new Blueprint for Survival?

Join me with guests Richard Pyle, Brian Greene, Bill Stone, Charlie Roberson, and Simon Mitchell in this historic Round Table Discussion. I hope you enjoy.

https://www.offgassingscuba.com/

Is it time for a new Blueprint for Survival?
There absolutely should be a new Blueprint. I've been saying this for years.
Cases where people died on CCR should be added (HUDs and shut-offs), cases where people took cameras into caves should be added, cases that happened due to sidemount should be added. Blind traverses should be added (not that that's a new issue).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom