???Future of Open Circuit Mixed Gas and Rebreather Diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

“My body does not participate in the physics that your body does”
In think there is a pretty big range in susceptibility to narcosis in people. At least down to 50m or 60m it seems to be dependant on psychological factors more than on physics. Some people are completely hammered at 30m meters while other people are still fine below 50m on OC.
If Mac really has over 5000 dives and done lots of deep air stuff, I can see that he'd do better at 50 m on air than some of the 'tec' divers at 40 m on Trimix.
IMHO, air is not as bad on OC than on CCR.

My point is that the world's moved on.

Years ago there was no choice but to dive deep air on open circuit.
Then came cheap helium when the US sold off their reserves and deep safe technical diving became a thing
Then came good, reliable rebreathers and deep, safe CCR diving became a thing
Then came expensive and very hard to get hold of helium which precludes OC divers from helium
Then the norm was diving rebreathers for deep dives; helium no longer an issue as so little is consumed

The future will be very scarce and consequential very expensive helium. Who knows what will happen to deep technical diving in 20 years.

Once you've dived deep with very reduced narcosis by using rich helium diluent, you certainly don't want to go back to being narked off your face and breathing high gas densities, certainly not on a rebreather.

One subnote: I'm talking about "recreational" technical diving where "I" choose to book on and do it.

You're very much talking about "commercial" diving where you're doing a single task for a job and will be supervised by the surface dive supervisor and his team including a kitted up, ready-to-jump standby diver.
No not talking about commercial diving, can’t go to those depths without sat. or chamber on site.

This reminds me an awful lot of the people who used to argue that while other people were dangerous if they drove after a few drinks, it didn't apply to them because they could handle their booze.
If only I had a pound for every time I’ve heard that old porky. Comparing alcohol consumption to narcosis is a load of crap.

If only I had a pound for every time I’ve heard that old porky. Comparing alcohol consumption to narcosis is a load of crap.
Seems to have a very similar effect on people doing a chamber dive. Giggling like a load of schoolgirls, severely impaired cognitive reasoning skills, memory function, problem solving, it goes on.

We get away with Narcosis through training.

No not talking about commercial diving, can’t go to those depths without sat. or chamber on site.
I think you're arguing with people that likely never even done a dive below 40 m on air. One of them gets hammered at 30 m. There is not point it arguing over this, you're wasting your time... it's like arguing with religious people. Most people shouldn't dive air below 40 m, having said that, many probably should stay above 20 m :).

Seems to have a very similar effect on people doing a chamber dive. Giggling like a load of schoolgirls, severely impaired cognitive reasoning skills, memory function, problem solving, it goes on.

We get away with Narcosis through training.
What happens is a bunch of divers get together on a day out and go for a playground chamber ride. They already have it in their heads narcosis is like alcohol. May even have had a few jars the night before. It’s totally different for divers trained in dealing with narcosis, and already making deep air dives. The dive is meticulously planned on the surface, every aspect of it. It’s nothing like a site seeing dive where a diver can very easily be distracted or can wander off, you have to stay focused. Your rig, gas everything is familiar and simple. No one is just deciding to make deep dives on a whim. That’s not reality.

I think you're arguing with people that likely never even done a dive below 40 m on air. One of them gets hammered at 30 m. There is not point it arguing over this, you're wasting your time... it's like arguing with religious people. Most people shouldn't dive air below 40 m, having said that, many probably should stay above 20 m :).
Unfortunately there’s a lot of hype and misunderstanding around narcosis and people get worried. But a simple assent to shallower water will clear narcosis immediately.

Unfortunately there’s a lot of hype and misunderstanding around narcosis and people get worried. But a simple assent to shallower water will clear narcosis immediately.
Science says otherwise. Narcosis does not go away immediately when you ascend. You may feel less affected when going up, but you're still affected. So please be careful and take it easy when affected seriously.

Back
Top Bottom