Future of Canister lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheap China light gets 23 hours burn time on low and 6 hours on high. Only cost me $40 so if it floods what am I really out? I've had it to 94' a few times with no failures but I also replaced the o-rings before I used it. It does border on too big for a hand mount but to not have a cord it's nice
Where you get?

A big light monkey battery canister provides 230 watt hours, not the 49 watt hours this offers.

A big light monkey battery canister provides 230 watt hours, not the 49 watt hours this offers.
Just comparing WH is meaningless without also knowing how many W each light uses (even when assuming equal light output).

Meaning of ''canister'' depends on energy stored in battery and light source consumption which gives us autonomy time.
If we need it ok then canister and if we don't need it also ok we can use handheld.
HID are total out.
Point in the future is light source ( white laser instead leds because small size and concentrated beam )
Next point is optics design which point to light zoomable optics without distortion or recoil reflectors (if someon know that mean)

Still using a cannister light with cable because for me the disadvantages (handling the cable) do not outweight the advantages (long burntime, having the lighthead attached to me at all times, etc).

Next many times I'm the "light guy", meaning the diver supporting photographers or video guys underwater. So next to my main light I usually will have a 2nd big cannister with me ranging in size of 80cuft size tank slung like a stage (HMI video light) to very big cannister attached traditionally (35Ah battery for 30000 lumen LED video light).

@guruboy correct on the wh comment, however most LED lights are burning at similar efficiency rates now. Some exceptions to that rule with companies like Light Monkey using very old technology.

@Rechno since it only outputs 650lumen in spot mode, it's quite dim compared to a lot of other options. I.e. it's basically the same as our backup lights with 4x 18650's in there. Looks really snazzy but it would have to be priced really competitive to make it vioable against the backup lights that we use since that is the output level it is giving

Oh yea, canister lights, I remember those....

Haven't used one in years, handheld only.

Tbone in fact it es rather high-priced. Manufactured in Switzerland ;-)
It was also only meant as an example that the traditional hip mounted canisters are not the only way to get a long runtimne and a high (enough) output. Of course you can have more lumen, but I have to admit that I found them to be reasonable enough.

What made the lamp interesting for me, was the overall package, not the amount of lumens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom