Future of Canister lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup

I looked at the prior DR model and wasnt impressed with the brightness. I have high hopes for the XHP50 and I want to get my hands on it to see what the light looks like.
I picked up one of the DiveRite LX20s for an advanced wreck class in Florida earlier this year since the HP50 wasn't out yet. Specs aren't amazing but it's a great light for what it is, has great burn time, comfortable in the water, and put out plenty of light for wreck penetrations as well as murky So Cal night diving. The new HP50 looks fantastic, but doesn't have the burn time on high as the prior model

I have looked at the LX20 numerous times. I compare it to the Xtar D26. I have 2 of the D26 and they have been awesome, so far (over a year).

The LX20 claims 4 hours burn time on high. The D26 is probably a bit over 2 hours (on Turbo - they claim 3.6 hours on High). They both have the same LED emitter, so I think they both put out about the same amount of light.

The LX20 uses 4 x 18650 batteries. With good 18650s, that would be 13,200 mAh. The D26 uses 1 x 26650. My good 26650s are 5300 mAh, so the LX20 definitely SHOULD last a lot longer.

The LX20 says it's a 6 degree beam. The D26 says it is 5.

I'm not doing any dives where 2 hours isn't plenty and usually 2 hours is plenty for my whole day of diving. My longest dive ever was less than 2 hours and over half of that was deco, where I did not need a light at all. 4 hours (i.e. D26 on High, using better batteries than what it comes with) is way more than enough (for me). And High is generally plenty bright enough. I rarely use Turbo mode.

The LX20 is $600 and the D26 is about $60. I don't get it.

The HP50 is even more expensive, but at least it puts out way more than double the light. I am definitely looking forward to more manufacturers coming out with XHP50-based lights and bringing the prices down.

I picked up one of the DiveRite LX20s for an advanced wreck class in Florida earlier this year since the HP50 wasn't out yet. Specs aren't amazing but it's a great light for what it is, has great burn time, comfortable in the water, and put out plenty of light for wreck penetrations as well as murky So Cal night diving. The new HP50 looks fantastic, but doesn't have the burn time on high as the prior model

that's what you get for it being 3x as bright as the LX20 and using the same batteries....

@stuartv there is a reliability cost factored into the designs of lights like the UWLD, Dive Rite etc. where they are using custom programmed electronics and tighter tolerances in machining to make lights more reliable which is a concern especially in cave diving where the LX20 is focused. The cheap lights out of Asia are great for OW diving, but they aren't something that I could really trust to get me out of a cave

The cheap lights out of Asia are great for OW diving, but they aren't something that I could really trust to get me out of a cave

Is that applicable to the Archon can lights recently sold by Deep6gear?

Last edited:
that's what you get for it being 3x as bright as the LX20 and using the same batteries....

@stuartv there is a reliability cost factored into the designs of lights like the UWLD, Dive Rite etc. where they are using custom programmed electronics and tighter tolerances in machining to make lights more reliable which is a concern especially in cave diving where the LX20 is focused. The cheap lights out of Asia are great for OW diving, but they aren't something that I could really trust to get me out of a cave

But, we're talking about a cordless light. Would you really use a cordless light for cave diving? I would think, for cave diving, you'd have a can light and just use that, versus spending $600 on a cordless.

Cheap China light gets 23 hours burn time on low and 6 hours on high. Only cost me $40 so if it floods what am I really out? I've had it to 94' a few times with no failures but I also replaced the o-rings before I used it. It does border on too big for a hand mount but to not have a cord it's nice

But, we're talking about a cordless light. Would you really use a cordless light for cave diving? I would think, for cave diving, you'd have a can light and just use that, versus spending $600 on a cordless.

if I'm diving with intro to cave divers I will leave the canister topside and take one of my CA Explorer lights as a "primary"

They seem reasonably popular if you are not planning a long dive. If are doing PfcAJ scale dives then not so much.

Okay, but do Intro level divers need more than 4 hours burn time? More than 2?

If they don't, then why spend $600 on a cordless light?

Okay, but do Intro level divers need more than 4 hours burn time? More than 2?

If they don't, then why spend $600 on a cordless light?
For GUE C1 you are not allowed to plan a dive involving deco. So dive time is limited. If you spectacularly screw up then low power will probably be enough as you deco on back gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom