Future of Canister lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a matter of fact I found it quite funny that an possible instructor told me that I absolutely need to have a light with a cord, but could give ne ne valid reason for the WHY?

Dogma & GUE go hand in hand often.

Why I prefer a corded light-head:

I dive in a deep dark lake @ the limit of whatever banked nitrox I'm using. I often cannot see the bottom with a LM 21 watt light when I go straight out @ the beginning of the forest (where they stopped bulldozing the downward slope). If I drop my light,say, switching hands to read my pressure gauge, I can't (comfortably) go get it so I like having a cord as a tether. It is also very handy around my neck while I'm fiddling around something (like a camera) using both hands. Again, I can't just go get the light if I drop it.

You prefer spending the money to have a cord and can versus just tying a tether to a cordless light and clipping it to yourself?

For less than the money of a can light, I got AI for my Perdix. Now I don't have to do anything to check my SPG. And with a light sock holding my light on the back of my hand, I can fiddle with my camera with both hands to my heart's content.

I realize that there are good reasons to spend the money for a can light. But, being worried about dropping my light doesn't seem to be one of them (to me). There are much more cost-effective ways to tether my light to me.

Id like to see more hybrids like the DR HP50. Handheld for shorter dives and canister capable for longer dives. I'm surprised companies like Light and Motion haven't developed something like that yet. Any other designs like the HP50 out there?

Id like to see more hybrids like the DR HP50. Handheld for shorter dives and canister capable for longer dives. I'm surprised companies like Light and Motion haven't developed something like that yet. Any other designs like the HP50 out there?

that concept goes against L&M's design paradigm so it is unlikely they'd do that. Going to that design adds a lot of excessive length to the unit which is why their lights are almost half the size of the Dive Rite/Halcyon equivalents.
The only other comparable light that I am aware of to the HP50 is the Halcyon Flare/Focus. The version 1.0 being similar to the LX20 in terms of output and the 2.0 being similar to the HP50

That said, I don't like lights that big for a lot of dives and prefer the super tiny light head on my UWLD's. Enough that even if something like the HP50 would work for burn time, I'd still take the cord. I make the jump from my CA Explorer handhelds straight to my UWLD 35. If the Explorer isn't enough for output or burn time, then it's straight to the LD35

Oh yea, canister lights, I remember those....

Haven't used one in years, handheld only.

Which one(s) do you use? What kind of burn time does it(they) have?

You prefer spending the money to have a cord and can versus just tying a tether to a cordless light and clipping it to yourself?

For less than the money of a can light, I got AI for my Perdix. Now I don't have to do anything to check my SPG. And with a light sock holding my light on the back of my hand, I can fiddle with my camera with both hands to my heart's content.

I realize that there are good reasons to spend the money for a can light. But, being worried about dropping my light doesn't seem to be one of them (to me). There are much more cost-effective ways to tether my light to me.
I defer to your vast knowledge and experience re someone else's personal preference.

Last edited:
that concept goes against L&M's design paradigm so it is unlikely they'd do that. Going to that design adds a lot of excessive length to the unit which is why their lights are almost half the size of the Dive Rite/Halcyon equivalents.

Well they make an external pack for the Stella 1000 and 2000 for top side use. Seems like un uw pack wouldn't be so unreasonable.
Stella 28 WHr External Battery Kit

Dive-Rite -- four hours burn time.
The LX20 has quite an attractive price point ($600), and for good viz, I'd imagine that the lower power modes may be sufficient, would you agree to that? Did you mount it on a hard or soft handle?

For those interested, from the Dive Rite site:

Burn time
  • High power: 4 hours at 20,000 LUX
  • Medium power: 6 hours at 13,000 LUX
  • Low Power: 12 hours at 7,000 LUX

I use the quick release handles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom