Future Colorado Dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow, that's a drive. I want to do it, but maybe a camping trip?

just talking with a work buddie, he said that there are 5 mountian lakes up HY-14 about two hours from Fort Collins that are crystal clear and have road access.
I might go for a drive and take a look, if I do I'll post any results.

they are:
Chambers Lake
Barnes Res
Joe Wright Res
Peterson Lake
Long Draw Res (not in map)

BTW most of those lakes are only an hour from Ft Collins.

I checked Chambers Lake, Barnes Res., and Joe Wright Res. They didn't look good. I was especially turned off by the leaches swimming around the shoreline looking hungry.

Peterson lake, Long Draw, and a few others up there may be worth a try.
If someone has an inflateable raft, it would be worth trying Halligan Res near Livermore.
There are a few lakes around Pingree park that may be worth a try as well.

I'd be up for giving any of those a shot this weekend.

...There are a few lakes around Pingree park that may be worth a try as well.

I'd be up for giving any of those a shot this weekend.

I gotta talk with the misses but I would love to go up this weekend, don't care where as long as it's under water. any day work better for you? and is there anyone else that might be interested in a saturday or sunday mountian dive at Peterson or Long Draw? (maybe with BBQ or something?) (leaches don't sound like cool dive buddies, so maybe it's a good idea to avoid them for now :D)

also, i was looking at Comanche Res up in Pingree... with google maps it seems clear and remote :D but I've never been there. here is some info I found...

Comanche Reservoir is located in the Comanche Peak Wilderness at an elevation of 9,400 feet. The lake contains brook and brown trout. Camping is limited near the lake. The lake is surrounded by spruce forest and most of its shoreline is accessible for fishing.

Features:

Area: 110 acres
Shoreline: 2.26 miles
Elevation: 9,400 feet
Maximum depth: unknown
Fish species: Brook trout, Brown trout
Fish species stocked: None
Fishing period: June - October

The new site Bruce mentioned is going to happen. I was not always confident about it and there have been delays and change of venue, but now things are looking up and the planets are aligning. Without knowing how much is public info, I won't do more than confirm that my drysuit is going to be getting very lonely. I'll ask the PM if there is any public info, or get him on here himself. I know it won't be before the end of the DNC that he will be available.

I hope there is some truth to this. The local diving is very poor and the way it is regulated here is appalling, most places that allow diving have us stuck in a little corner of the lake, and they usually have picked the wrong part of these lakes for dive sites.

I dove at Carter Lake this past weekend, you have to check in before you dive, no solo diving or 50 dollar fine, you can only dive in the area they have buoyed off,but you still have to have a dive flag in the buoyed off area or 50 dollar fine. They tried to tell me you had to have insurance before you could dive, I have DAN as well as V&B, but if I was newly certified and didn't know any better this would have really turned me off. I wonder how many people up there fishing are asked to show angler insurance before fishing. I've been diving for a long time in many different places and have yet to see anywhere as restrictive as Colorado.

I'm up for trying some new spots to dive.

Unfortunately I have a cold (son brought it home from school! :shakehead:), and I may not make it down to BH this weekend which is what I had planned. Still waiting to see how I feel tomorrow.

The only down side is that these are going to be cold lakes, and not suitable to dive year around.

I gotta talk with the misses but I would love to go up this weekend, don't care where as long as it's under water. any day work better for you? and is there anyone else that might be interested in a saturday or sunday mountian dive at Peterson or Long Draw? (maybe with BBQ or something?) (leaches don't sound like cool dive buddies, so maybe it's a good idea to avoid them for now )

Gentleman,

Don't forget to calculate your bar pressure as you go to altitude and you may need to wait a few hours prior to diving.

Bruce

So I went to Peterson yesterday and I really did not like what I saw. the water level was extremely low, no visibility and no easy way to get into the water. I did see a few moose, that was pretty cool. so the search continues...

Ok. I'm going to make a real effort to do some local dives this weekend.

First Choice: Twin Lakes Res., Hourglass Res., and Comanche Res. el. 9000 - 9200 These lakes are up Poudre canyon in the Pingree Park area. Accessible by car.

2nd choice: Halligan Resevoir near Livermore. el. 6500. I have an inflateable, but we would need another diveyak or raft to access the best area for diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom