Future Colorado Dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterskier1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread was started with posts split-off from the Input Needed for Blue Hole Improvements thread and is for discussion of future non-Blue Hole dive options.

There are always other options..I did my OW dives over at the Crater, and if they raise prices to be more than what the Crater charges, I'd be leaning over there, given its proxmity to Park City, and to the field offices I occasionally have to visit in Wyoming and Utah. My LDS, A1 scuba, splits their OW classes between those two sites, in addition to the local ones at Chatfield during the summer.

Yes, I'm familiar with those existing options, I was inquiring about future options that Bruce eluded to.

There will be other options than Blue hole in the near future.

Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say, within 6 months, most of us will know what those options will be. Not really at liberty to say and not sure what rumors you have heard but Blue Hole will be a thing of the past for Coloradan's. Very impressive venture in the works.

Bruce

Ron, sorry my post had no value. I know people involved in the project and they asked that the details not be made public. Not sure why, but I will respect that. I will assume you are the Mod on this board and if so, I find it a little demeaning for you to request my silence. It's not like I started a thread on the subject.

Bruce, I think I can safely say that Ron's post was as a member, not as a Mod, and while the Staff Badge does carry some implications - it really has no bearing on this thread. A Mod never Moderates on a thread s/he may be participating is my general understanding - human imperfections notwithstanding but still pretty dependable.

Additionally, Ron can seem a bit gruff at times I guess - not nearly as bad as I can when I don't stop and think - but it is common for many of us to speak freely here as buddies, not always selecting our words and phrases like we might in business, politics, etc. I thot he sounded gruff too, but I would suggest not taking offense - either way, whether he meant it that way or not.

Finally, I do agree with Ron. Wild statements like you posted there are not really appropriate here, indeed - would be best said on a different thread if at all. I'd suggest not at all until you are ready to back the claims with proof or at least details, but at least not on this thread. It may seem relevant, and my first thot was "tell Santa Rosa before they build," but that building is going up, no doubt about it. It's in the hard plan, paid for by grants I think, and good for local business as soon as they start.

Well, those are my thots, for what they may or may not be worth. You're both good guys and I wanted to offer them in case they might help. I'd suggest asking another Mod to remove the last 4 posts starting with your claim and including mine here, but that's y'all's call.

Now where were we...?

I'm not sure why Bruce's post should be removed. I have heard snippets of the same thing, and was hoping to get more details. I think it absurd to think Santa Rosa would change their plans based upon an upshot new adventure that might take place in Colorado. And possibly Northern Colorado at that (another rumor).

The persons that I got the snippets of info from where not willing to tell me any more info for the same reasons Bruce won't. I'm not sure how much more they really knew, because I'm not sure they are directly involved with the venture.

Even though the details are not available, I think censure of the posts a bit extreme. After all, all Bruce added was some hope for some of us. I see nothing wrong with this, and don't think it violated and T&C's. I was just hopeful that soon we will all hear the details of this new venture (or that it too has fallen by the wayside).

My 2 psi.

Ron,
Apology accepted. It was not my intention to get that subject matter in this thread. My participation in this thread has been genuine and in our best interests, regarding the use of Blue Hole. I think we all have the same gut feeling as to how this Blue hole project is going to turn out.

Bruce

I agree. We all have reservations about the BH project, and how they could REALLY make things difficult and a lot more expensive without really changing anything in a positive way.

However this thread is a good area to discuss rumors, or facts about potential sites that maybe on the books. If you want to throw out speculation/rumors/whatever, this would be the place.

I've certainly heard a number of things over the years. However none of them appear to be anything more than speculation.

I for one would LOVE to see a hot spring fed dive site with great vis, good depth, and constant water temps even in winter (sound familiar?:blinking:).

Santa Rosa has three or more such areas in Blue Hole, Rock Lake, and Perch Lake. BTW, Perch is a REALLY good dive most of the year, but cold (drysuit, or very brave).

Colorado has some springs, but the ones I've been two tend to be on rivers. Maybe there are some spots that I am unaware of. These tend to run along the south area of 285, and then up into the Glenwood springs areas, but there are plenty of Hot springs in CO.

Man now I'm all excited about this rumor. :smash:

Over the past year, I have often thought that someone in Colorado could make a whole heap of money if they could just take a natural hot spring, dig it down to 80 feet, keep the water temp around 80 year round, and keep the algea out. (Kind of sounds like Bonneville Sea Base! Utah is just too far for us from southern Colorado to drive- and the Seabase had no visibility at all when I was there in April 2007- so I'll never go back!) I sure hope this rumor of a new dive spot in Colorado comes true- and that the water is warmer than Blue Hole! I hate cold water diving- but have no other choice if I want to see where I'm swimming!
Angelika

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom