Future Colorado Dive sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water Clarity is key. Depth is another big factor to be able to do advanced certifications.

How many lakes have you seen where you can see the bottom at 50' in Colorado? Not many (or any?) that I have been to. This is in part based on the bottom material. In Oregon, I've seen HUGE water clarity. The bed is generally rock, or sand. Here is seems to be sediment.

I've seen plenty of lakes that are perfectly clear in Colorado. But.....they are all at or above timberline. If you look closely at this pic, you can see the incredible water clarity. This lake is probably 60 to 80 feet deep.
My quest is to find a lake like this one that is at least accessible with 4x4 and is sitting at less than 10,000 feet.

As far as hot springs go, the spring itself doesn't need to be dug out. The big dig could take place near the spring and warm water could be piped in. Imagine if Glenwood Springs was just 20 feet deeper.

There are more springs in the Glenwood area, Pagosa, Durango, Ouray, Ridgeway, Salida, Buena Vista, Redstone, Wolf Creek, San Louis Valley, Idaho Springs, Steamboat Springs, Radium, Wuanita Hot Springs just outside of Gunnison, Powderhorn, etc.
http://waterknowledge.colostate.edu/geotherm.htm

The development of a competitive warm water dive site in Colorado simply requires money. If anyone has a spare few million dollars lying around, they could start a sweet minimum wage business for themselves!:rofl3:

Wuanita Hot Springs Ranch is for sale. Its an historic hotel, dude ranch, working ranch, beautiful property. It has a main pool and many smaller private hot tubs near private cabins and if someone had enough money to buy it, they would have the right to divert the spring water into a a deep diveable pond.

http://www.waunitasprings.com/hot springs.htm
http://www.waunita.com/lodgingMeals/pool.html

The northern Colorado warm water dive training center could be a go tomorrow if the funds were there.

Attachments

• bluelake.jpg
    bluelake.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Here are a couple more clear deep lakes.

Attachments

• twinlakes1.jpg
    twinlakes1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 55
  • twinlakes3.jpg
    twinlakes3.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 48
  • twinlakes2.jpg
    twinlakes2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 51
This lake actually fits the bill. Less than 9000 feet elevation, natural lake, very clear, accessible by car, near good restaurants and lodging. I was there last week with no dive gear. Now I just need to find someone willing to dive it with me!

Attachments

• lakecity1.jpg
    lakecity1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 60
  • sancristobal.jpg
    sancristobal.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 68
  • sancristobal2.jpg
    sancristobal2.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 57
This lake actually fits the bill. Less than 9000 feet elevation, natural lake, very clear, accessible by car, near good restaurants and lodging. I was there last week with no dive gear. Now I just need to find someone willing to dive it with me!

Where is it? I'll dive it with you if its close enough for a day trip from Denver.

I will walk out of work this moment if you said you where diving today... I'm not jokin either.
( hint hint :D )

that lake looks great, nice find indeed. any idea on water temp? could you give some more details maybe? location, or distance in miles and travel time? is there any high passes on the way or is it all down hill? state or federal park? ect ect...

Is that here? those look really nice.

So do the pics above too. Are those other ones the Twin Lakes past Leadville?

wow, that's a drive. I want to do it, but maybe a camping trip?

just talking with a work buddie, he said that there are 5 mountian lakes up HY-14 about two hours from Fort Collins that are crystal clear and have road access.
I might go for a drive and take a look, if I do I'll post any results.

they are:
Chambers Lake
Barnes Res
Joe Wright Res
Peterson Lake
Long Draw Res (not in map)

Is that here? those look really nice.

So do the pics above too. Are those other ones the Twin Lakes past Leadville?

Good guess Austin!
(Not on the other Lakes, though. This set of twin Lakes is at the foot of Castle Peak between Cretsed Butte and Aspen in the Snowmass/Maroon Bells Wilderness area.)

The first lake is Blue Lake in the Ragged Wilderness area.

But yes on Lake San Cristobal near Lake City. Ive been talking about Lake San Cristobal for a few years now. I finally was able to really check it out last week. Its incredibly clear, fish are jumping, and Lake City is just down the road.
I think that it would be important to be pretty subtle with group size and proximity to the main road.
The water is quite cold. I would guess that the thermocline could be below 40 degrees.

I may be able to go as soon as Sept 5-7 because I have business to take care of in Crested Butte which is only a 1 1/2 hour drive from there. It would be posible to dive Blue mesa too. It looked like it was clearing up a bit. Maybe 10 ft viz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom