Future advances in regulator design?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see what this has to do with anything. The regulators were sold with "free parts for life" and a lifetime guarantee, is it too much to ask that they stand by their promise?

I do not disagree with that statement. But how does getting rid of "parts for life" build good relationships?

I left the US and settled in Libya full time circa 2004 so I am not very up to date on how they manage the warranty in the US since then but did they just annul the warranty for existing customer overnight?

From what I remember basically they set a date and if your equipment was not in the inspection / rebuild cycle you were permanently out of parts for life. For new purchases there was no free parts for life unless you purchased a complete set of gear (regs, bc, computer). There are quite a few old threads on this in here.

In the past if you fell out of parts for life, you could get back in after paying for parts for the first rebuild . They changed the policy right around the same time they allowed online sales and switched from a 1 year to 2 year rebuild cycle.

I wouldn't mind seeing more work with center balanced poppets and coaxial exhaust set ups like the converted pilot, Air1, and D series. Those are certainly the most refined 2nd stages I've ever used.
I agree with it, must of the coaxial exhaust is the best design for natural breathing and lowest cracking effort

I agree with it, must of the coaxial exhaust is the best design for natural breathing and lowest cracking effort

Doesn't the Poseidon and Ocean Omega II also use a coaxial exhaust? Some divers used to love the old teknas which also has a coaxial design.

This thread was not intended to be about warranties, unless that warranty was something better than the past?

Very few threads ever stay on topic on SB. But you are right.

Doesn't the Poseidon and Ocean Omega II also use a coaxial exhaust? Some divers used to love the old teknas which also has a coaxial design.

I used to love diving my Tekna 2100... used it on the Coolidge at 52m (170') and it breathed like a dream.

Ralph Osterhout's design was way ahead of it's time... so much so I used it as a study at Uni back-in-the-day, reverse engineering and 3D modelling it all up!

Tekna Regulator 3.jpg

Last edited:
I saw a Tekna regulator go on eBay for $129 recently, so I dusted mine off to sell and noticed there seems to be a bunch of these up for sale on eBay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom