Fusion: How many clicks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vondo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, I've got six dives on my Fusion now and I can't say I am "toasty warm" in the MkII undies and our 45-50 degree water. I wonder if the problem is that I'm not keeping enough air in the suit. Recently I've been turning the valve about 4 clicks from fully open. I can't really see if there is air escaping or not because it's not really in my field of vision. So, question of other Fusion divers:

How far do you close down the exhaust valve once you are at depth? And I guess to make sense of the answers, "Do you use the suit or your BC as the primary buoyancy control?"

Thanks in advance,

Eric

I never touch my dry suit dump valve (on any suit). It's always left wide open. I inflate the suit for comfort and warmth. In singles, that often takes care of most of the buoyancy needs as well (wing still needs a pinch of gas). In doubles, that often means more gas is needed in the BC.

If you listen carefully, you can hear gas escaping from the valve.

If you're cold, you probably need more thermal protection...

Do you wear underarmer like wicking material underneath? 45-50 is right on the edge for me with that weight undergarment- I double up the underarmer and throw on an extra pair of wool socks.

I don't close the valve at depth, and use my suit as primary buoyancy control. If you are cold, vent the suit a little and add some more air- why not?

You also don't mention how long you are diving at those temperatures- you may very well need more layers to stay comfortable.

I leave the valve wide open as well. Like it or not the suit will add lift but I use the BC for most adjustments in buoyancy, not the suit.

Do you wear underarmer like wicking material underneath? 45-50 is right on the edge for me with that weight undergarment- I double up the underarmer and throw on an extra pair of wool socks.

I don't close the valve at depth, and use my suit as primary buoyancy control. If you are cold, vent the suit a little and add some more air- why not?

You also don't mention how long you are diving at those temperatures- you may very well need more layers to stay comfortable.

I'm not trying to get buoyancy out of the suit. Sorry if that was unclear. I wear a single layer thin polypro under just the one piece Mk2 suit. I'll try the "john + jacket" configuration next weekend. Dives are about 45 minutes or so. It's not like I have to end the dive because I'm cold, but I wouldn't say I'm "comfortable" :wink:

Yeah I'd be cool at the 45 min mark too- add another layer and you'll be much happier.

Some people use their BC and some use their drysuit and some use a combo of both---- In ice conditions I've had both freeze up on me so it all depends on what you are comfortable with.

Personally I like to be warmer :)

I have a Fusion, and it's my personal opinion that the Mk2 is far too little undergarment for 45 to 50 degree water. (I use the Mk3, with a Thinsulate vest UNDER it, and Argon in the winter.) I leave my drysuit valve open, but I do carry a little extra weight to allow more gas in the suit and increased warmth.

I have a Fusion, and it's my personal opinion that the Mk2 is far too little undergarment for 45 to 50 degree water. (I use the Mk3, with a Thinsulate vest UNDER it, and Argon in the winter.) I leave my drysuit valve open, but I do carry a little extra weight to allow more gas in the suit and increased warmth.
What she said...except I wear a base layer of about 100g fleece. The fleece is just some sweat pants and a Columbia sweatshirt. Of course the ultra thick socks under my booties help keep my feet warm.

I do close my drysuit valve at the surface to add buoyancy. I also use my wing quite a bit once underwater.

I leave my valve wide open at all times.

I wore the MK2 with jacket (sleeves off) and heavy wool socks over the neoprene in 50 degree water and was still cold. I ended buying an MK3, also. All I can say is the MK3 is very warm and doubles as a snow suit!

I get cold pretty easily. In 60' water I am working the MK2 with jacket and heavy wools socks and I'm just a little chilly. I wear wet gloves, and I usually start losing feeling in my fingers after about 10 minutes, but not enough that I can't unhook my boltsnaps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom