Fusion Drysuit - Can't Stay Warm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This would be an improvement over your current polyester based base layer. I step above would be this product from Helly Hansen that is a combo of Merino Wool and Polypropylene:
https://www.amazon.com/Helly-Hansen-Sleeve-Layer-Large/dp/B001KGV2RI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486961162&sr=8-3&keywords=merino+wool+and+polypropylene+base+layer&th=1&psc=1
A tad more expensive than what you are looking at, but well worth it-- buy it with the pants also.

Thanks Trailboss. So my polyester layer is what's doing me a disservice? I figured with it being the Polartec Powerdry it should be good. I'll give some merino wool or merino wool/polypro a shot.

i don't think the polyester is a problem. the description clearly says moisture wicking and whatnot.

I agree with Trailboss.

It definitely sounds like you're getting in damp/sweaty and your base layer is not wicking it away well enough.

The HH stuff looks really nice.

I would definitely avoid the Lavacore you mentioned earlier. That will keep the moisture to close to you. It's good for under a wetsuit, but not under a drysuit.

Fusion Tech + Thermal Fusion + dry gloves is my normal exposure suit. At 54F I would be fine for a 90-120 minutes dive. At temperatures below 40F I usually add another layer of #100 fliece. May be the problem is in the base layer? I use the Whites MK0 "bamboo" base layer which wicks the moisture very well and also protects the Thermal Fusion.

Helly Hansen base layer is great!!!! They are a bit expensive but last forever and work. I like Ortovox as well

I ended switching away from my Under Armor cold wear as a base layer, I felt colder using it than I did with the regular AU as a base. It took me a bit to figure out it was the cold gear. Now Im using merino 250g Smartwool as my base in all climates and am extremely happier and warmer / more comfortable.

i don't think the polyester is a problem. the description clearly says moisture wicking and whatnot.
I think the polyester is a problem. I've used quite a few types of fiber for my wicking layer, both topside and underwater for more than 30 years, and my personal jury has reached a unanimous decision. For high-intensity activities, polypropylene rules. It transports moisture better than any other fiber, but it sucks big time if you don't keep a high intensity activity, causing your body heat to force the moisture out from your skin. For medium and low intensity activities when you have to count on being damp from perspiration, nothing - nothing! - beats quality wool. Preferably Merino, but high quality anyway. The structure of the wool fiber, with its shells, makes wool the only fiber able to provide just as good insulation at 30% moisture content as when it's dry. Any other fiber will not wick and absorb moisture and feel perfectly dry. I use wool even in the summer if I reckon on becoming cold without having the opportunity to dry out properly. Besides, wool is the only fiber able to provide decent insulation even when soaking wet.

Wicking isn't the only property required from a base layer. Under some conditions, the ability to provide proper insulation even when damp or wet is more important than wicking properties.

Unfortunately, the same properties that make wool a near-perfect base layer under medium-to-low intensity conditions (ability to "hide" a high moisture content, thus making it less able to dry out quickly and provide maximum wicking properties) makes it less perfect as a middle layer. So, a lot of people have made the mistake of equaling optimal base layer properties with optimal middle layer properties.

And since I use the same undersuit in 15C water as I use in 8C water I use the same base layer in 15C water as I use in 8C water (if it gets even colder, like 3-4C water, I'll still use the same base layer, but I'll add more thin layers of wool undeneath my undersuit). Because around here if the water is 15C, the topside temp is usually so high that when I'm finally in the water, I'm damp. And with anything but quality wool in my base layer, I'll get cold. Just as cold as I get in 8C water, because I'm not as damp and lose less heat.

Last edited:
I think the polyester is a problem. I've used quite a few types of fiber for my wicking layer, both topside and underwater for more than 30 years, and my personal jury has reached a unanimous decision. For high-intensity activities, polypropylene rules. It transports moisture better than any other fiber, but it sucks big time if you don't keep a high intensity activity, causing your body heat to force the moisture out from your skin. For medium and low intensity activities when you have to count on being damp from perspiration, nothing - nothing! - beats quality wool. Preferably Merino, but high quality anyway. The structure of the wool fiber, with its shells, makes wool the only fiber able to provide just as good insulation at 30% moisture content as when it's dry. Any other fiber will not wick and absorb moisture and feel perfectly dry. I use wool even in the summer if I reckon on becoming cold without having the opportunity to dry out properly. Besides, wool is the only fiber able to provide decent insulation even when soaking wet.

Wicking isn't the only property required from a base layer. Under some conditions, the ability to provide proper insulation even when damp or wet is more important than wicking properties.

Unfortunately, the same properties that make wool a near-perfect base layer under medium-to-low intensity conditions (ability to "hide" a high moisture content, thus making it less able to dry out quickly and provide maximum wicking properties) makes it less perfect as a middle layer. So, a lot of people have made the mistake of equaling optimal base layer properties with optimal middle layer properties.

And since I use the same undersuit in 15C water as I use in 8C water I use the same base layer in 15C water as I use in 8C water (if it gets even colder, like 3-4C water, I'll still use the same base layer, but I'll add more thin layers of wool undeneath my undersuit). Because around here if the water is 15C, the topside temp is usually so high that when I'm finally in the water, I'm damp. And with anything but quality wool in my base layer, I'll get cold. Just as cold as I get in 8C water, because I'm not as damp and lose less heat.

This makes a lot of sense. Thank you. I'll be picking up a nice quality Merino wool baselayer to try out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom