DIR- GUE Fundies in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pat S

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm interested in taking a GUE Fundamental course this winter and love that there are so many options in Mexico.

My goal is to be a better diver and learn, not to start down a tech path. I'm coming from PADI/AOW with just under 100 dives, about a third of which have been backplate wing and long hose primary. I'd be doing the class in singles with wetsuit if possible since I'm not certified for drysuit or experienced with doubles, and since I don't plan to go the tech route where I'd need those skills. it makes more sense to me to train in the gear I'd be using most.

I also don't have a buddy coming along so would also need to find an open slot in a class.

It sounds like from the feedback here that pretty much all of the GUE Instructors would work but wanted to see if anyone here has any specific recommendations for instructors/facilities/lodging that is near the training area/etc.

Thanks!
Pat

My fundies instructor Emőke is based in Playa/Tulum/Quintana and was great. (We flew her to Ohio for a class). I’m told by others who have been to Mexico for training with her the there is an airbnb type accommodation right next to her shop.

You’ll never hear a bad word about the group at 3D. You’ll walk away with excellent skills and a group of people you’ll want to go back and see over and over again.
We met Kelvin 12 years ago when he was stuck doing some guided dives with us through Protec. We’ve been good friends with him and his wife Anabel since. He is an honest instructor. When you suck he will be honest and tell you in a way that’s motivating and makes you want to be better. You don’t want an instructor who’s a cheerleader. You want someone who is equally willing to tell you exactly what you’re doing both right and wrong.
I know I cant say enough good things about everyone there and I have a suspicion you will hear the same from others.
Clearly zero gravity is an option but over the years it’s become a sterile, non inviting place to go. You will not be treated poorly there and you will get exceptional instruction. But there’s a clear reason so many people are choosing 3D over zero g. It’s just the personal touches and friendly environment that makes 3 d different than zero g. Don’t take that as me speaking poorly of zero g. It’s just not the same place it was 10 years ago imo.

I'm very biased here :)
I'll be in mexico with Zero Gravity from mid october onwards. There is also Laurent at ZG who regularly is teaching Fundamentals.
I'm not sure about this "Sterile, non inviting place", I've always felt very welcome at ZG, and this is one of the reasons I'm going there full time. There is a regular stream of GUE divers coming through as well.

Thanks
John

You’ll never hear a bad word about the group at 3D. You’ll walk away with excellent skills and a group of people you’ll want to go back and see over and over again.
We met Kelvin 12 years ago when he was stuck doing some guided dives with us through Protec. We’ve been good friends with him and his wife Anabel since. He is an honest instructor. When you suck he will be honest and tell you in a way that’s motivating and makes you want to be better. You don’t want an instructor who’s a cheerleader. You want someone who is equally willing to tell you exactly what you’re doing both right and wrong.
I know I cant say enough good things about everyone there and I have a suspicion you will hear the same from others.
Clearly zero gravity is an option but over the years it’s become a sterile, non inviting place to go. You will not be treated poorly there and you will get exceptional instruction. But there’s a clear reason so many people are choosing 3D over zero g. It’s just the personal touches and friendly environment that makes 3 d different than zero g. Don’t take that as me speaking poorly of zero g. It’s just not the same place it was 10 years ago imo.

Thanks. I’ve read similar posts about ZG and while it looks awesome, I’ll definitely research others as well.

Mexico is the place to do Fundies, lots of clear, confined water to train for hours, plus cool stuff to see, and, weather permitting, great reefs.

Im doing Fundies with Emoke on Sept 26-30. Maybe you can still join us. If interested, send her a message. The apartment I’ll be staying at is very close to the shop and has an additional bed. DM me if interested.

Im doing Fundies with Emoke on Sept 26-30. Maybe you can still join us. If interested, send her a message. The apartment I’ll be staying at is very close to the shop and has an additional bed. DM me if interested.
I’ve got schedule conflicts in Sep/Oct but would love to hear a trip report when you get back!

I'm very biased here :)
I'll be in mexico with Zero Gravity from mid october onwards. There is also Laurent at ZG who regularly is teaching Fundamentals.
I'm not sure about this "Sterile, non inviting place", I've always felt very welcome at ZG, and this is one of the reasons I'm going there full time. There is a regular stream of GUE divers coming through as well.

Thanks
John
I just got back from a week of training with Laurent. I'm returning in mid October for some more training and, hopefully a tech upgrade. The shop is great, the people friendly. They have nice rooms and a cafe onsite. Laurent is a great instructor.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom