full suit or shorty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get the full 3mm. Provides better overall protection from the elements and its always easier to cool off than it is to warm up.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I agree with Dave. The full 3 mm is just more versatile. It may also keep you comfortable for another 10 minutes at depth, thereby extending your enjoyment of a tropical dive. Even warm water will chill you eventually.

Ed

I use a shorty 3mm in the Gulf of Mexico and Carib. However, my shorty has long sleeves on the arms and extends to nearly my knees. Therefore, the only part of me uncovered is from knee to bootie. I can live with that (unless the jellies are just plain too thick!) I like this set up because I can wear a farmer john under the shorty in cooler waters. It's a flexible system and one I like, but that's just me.

I agree with the full 3mm. It's the best way for skin protection against jellies and also can be enjoyable on a long dive. I have a good experience of the caribbean and you can start shivering even in warm water.
Steph.

With water temps in the mid 70s, I would wear a 5 mm, but I get cold easily.

3mm full with hood or beanie. The protection on the head will make the difference. You can always cool down.

Regards,

Bring both. You can always layer them if you get cold.

Go with the full suit. I used to belong to a shorty camp, but I have seen the light. :)

It is wise to have your body protected from jellyfish, fireworms and who knows what else you may accidentally come in contact with.

Also, once you begin to dive on a more regular basis you discover that there's no such thing as the warm water. Or is it just me? :wink:

ckjacques53198:
I'm trying to decide between a full 3mm wetsuit and a shorty for carribean diving (key largo in december).

Get the full suit.

The water is only in the low 80's right now, and AFAIK, isn't going to be any warmer in December.

In fact, once it drops below 80, I'd be thinking about bringing my drysuit. :cool:

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom