Fuel Prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tekkydiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Will Gasoline or diesel fuel prices affect your diving? Have Charters raised their rates?

No impact on my diving. I'm lucky enough that I work from home so I don't burn alot of fuel typically. My monthly trips to Palm Beach/Broward counties are a bit more expensive with higher fuel prices, but not enough to impact my ability to make the trips. I'm lucky enough to have a good bit of disposable income so the higher fuel prices are more of an annoyance than actually being painful.

I've not yet seen any charter operations (that I use) raise their rates, but I suspect that if prices remain this high much longer they are going to have to.

Definitely noticed less truck and boat trailers at the ramp lately. With inflation across the board with food etc. the easiest cut for most is boating. Will be interesting to see if it picks up any in the summer.

It hasn't had an effect on my diving. It has affected how much pleasure boating I will do this season. I took the boat out to dinner last week and burned $350 in fuel going to dinner and back. That was a $200 trip last season.

My charters will get a fuel surcharge once we pass $5 per gallon, at the moment we are still hovering just under.

Between fuel and tolls it cost me $105 to make the trip from PSL to West Palm and back. It does make me very closely look at the forecast to see if we are going to launch or not once there. Once on the water I am going where ever I want because I am not going to have the expense of a boat just so it can sit in my driveway.

Trip last weekend, 3 hr drive one way, so $75 in fuel round trip. Charter price $135 up from $120 with an $8 fuel surcharge on top.

We were planning a trip to FL, but with it being so much more this year I think we'll wait and see what happens.. maybe plan for next year. It would have been 2 weeks, 3500-4000 miles round trip. Would be $1000 just in gas. I did the same trip 2 years ago for around $400. Yikes.

Trip last weekend, 3 hr drive one way, so $75 in fuel round trip. Charter price $135 up from $120 with an $8 fuel surcharge on top.

We were planning a trip to FL, but with it being so much more this year I think we'll wait and see what happens.. maybe plan for next year. It would have been 2 weeks, 3500-4000 miles round trip. Would be $1000 just in gas. I did the same trip 2 years ago for around $400. Yikes.

With your menagerie, wouldn’t it cost a lot more to fly?

I’m still planning on driving to FL for a week of cave diving at Christmas. Gas prices are running about $5.50 right now in the Chicago area. My Scuba Sherpa (Ford Escape) gets about 27 mpg even loaded down with gear.

I consider higher gas costs an offset from the savings from all the travel I was unable to do.

Does anybody want to buy a 26' sailboat with a walkthrough transom and dive ladder, that is located in South Florida? The cost of fuel is really reasonable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom