Ft. Lauderdale 11/12 The Sea Empress AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the horse has to be alive. :wink:

Wrong answer. If your looking at the horse you mount on the right.
If you looking at the horse from the back you mount on the left.:wink:

Boat sends down DM to hook up to wreck, group descends down DM attached down line, explores, unhooks line, surfaces, boat picks you up (this is a modified drift dive).

This was our plan minus the 'boat picks you up part'. We intended to swim back to the line that the boats DM attached and get back on the boat. As it turns out and as you probably could have predicted almost every group had to get picked up.

-V

Vayu:
Boat sends down DM to hook up to wreck, group descends down DM attached down line, explores, unhooks line, surfaces, boat picks you up (this is a modified drift dive).

This was our plan minus the 'boat picks you up part'. We intended to swim back to the line that the boats DM attached and get back on the boat. As it turns out and as you probably could have predicted almost every group had to get picked up.

-V

Do you have clear understanding for why the divergence from the plan ? This was a small wreck site ... accent line/boat should not have been too far away ?

Vayu:
To my knowledge some of them dove the site last spring. I'm not sure if the hurricanes have changed anything.

As an update to JR... I see in the other thread that I said "we were a bit deeper than 60 feet". I guess text is an insufficient vehicle for irony. We were quite a bit deeper. You know the site better than I do but the boat DM that is from the area said bottom was at 74'. My gauge still reads below 70' and I was not skimming the bottom.

-V

HHMMMMM, Yes you did say 68-74, then 80. But that was before you just checked your gauge and it reads below 70' (?). Sounds like you have a " analog depth guage " and not a computer. Considering the fudge factor and lack of accuracy on a analog read out. Go with 72. I have a Versa Pro and it gives me a reading on my last dive at that site 73'. Check the site I posted and as I previously stated, bottom 72'. Not even going to go any further with that one. The depth is not really a problem, it is all the other things that went on to cause a dive that did not go to well.

Air management is something I would consider looking into if you comsume air at a fast rate. Some might say get nitrox certified you can stay down longer. Figure this one out.
80 cuft of air in 30 minutes. 80 cuft of nitrox in 30 minutes. = Air management.

As the post above said: make sure everyone in the group knows the dive plan. Communications is a good thing.

So with this, I bid you farewell and DIVE SAFELY.

JRScuba:
Air management is something I would consider looking into if you comsume air at a fast rate. Some might say get nitrox certified you can stay down longer. Figure this one out. 80 cuft of air in 30 minutes. 80 cuft of nitrox in 30 minutes. = Air management.

I assume you're being facetious. This isn't true for everybody. If his tank doesn't last for 30 minutes at less than 80 feet, how would he make it last for 45 minutes (depending on mix) on Nitrox? Assuming he's using the same size tank, Nitrox will not give him longer bottom time, although it will give him less nitrogen in his body. For Vayu, the limiting factor is his tank size right now, probably not the NDL's. As he gains experience, slows down his breathing, and doesn't exert himself, he will use less of any gas. Gas management is a good thing for everyone to be aware of.

JRScuba:
But the horse has to be alive. :wink:

Wrong answer. If your looking at the horse you mount on the right.
If you looking at the horse from the back you mount on the left.:wink:
:D
Unless it's a seahorse, in which case you will always mount on the port side.

Vayu:
When I say the water is unlucky and ask people to watch their step, I am asking so due to the bad seas we have been having lately on that coast. In addition to the 3 injured divers on my trip, there has been a fatality. It is not a bad thing to ask people to be cautious.

-V

Vayu -

It's ok to call a dive before it even starts. Often your own intitial judement is correct when things don't feel quite right. I've called dives because of sea conditions, current, visibility, equipment, sea sickness, ect. ect. In some of those case others in the group went ahead, sometimes without consequence, and sometimes encountering problems. As your skils improve, you be better able to judge what is within your skill level.

All I can say is that I was in the group that got left behind in all this drama...and it sucked!!!

xxdivexx,
welcome to this board.
i'm glad you are ok.
i've been following this thread.
imho when one reads all the posts it appears that there are a few gaps.
there are unaswered questions.
you may be in a position to provide additional information.
thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom