Frustration...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daniel f aleman:
Yeah, a 600' hose from the top. Who needs SCUBA?
As long as it doesn't interfere with the snorkel :wink:

Back on topic. If I am using my can light, I use my 7 ft hose, but if don't have my can light, I go to a 40" hose. Which is what I use if I'm doing a warm water trip.

Chill out dude!
Forcing your own opinions is not really popular here.
And don’t reinvent the wheel.
Dive Safe
Jack

artek:
Chill out dude!
Forcing your own opinions is not really popular here.
And don’t reinvent the wheel.
Dive Safe
Jack
So....he's not allowed his opinion? or to share it? I don't see him holding a gun to your head to get rid of your 7 ft hose.

If you can justify the why, it doesn't really matter what others think.

daniel f aleman:
Question: Since the 7' hose is not necessary for use in open water, and that its use could arrise in an entrapment/tangle issue..., is it really Hogarthian outside overhead use?

i'd say it's minimalist in the sense that you don't need to carry an extra hose around with you and reconfigure your rig everytime you go from cave or wreck diving to ow diving.

aside from that, i initially used the standard length hoses, 28" for primary and 40" for octo, and i really didn't like them compared to the 7' primary and 24" octo hoses. The 28" stuck out too much and pushed the 2nd stage away from my mouth. Also, in a real oog situation I'd prefer to donate the reg in my mouth because I know exactly where it is and that it works, but 28" is uncomfortably short for gas sharing. The 40" octo also stuck out when I switched to it myself sometimes or when it was on a bungee necklace. I didn't want to let it drag behind me either because it would be harder to find, not very streamlined and could get tangled up that way. Maybe there's a good way to stow it (my AOW teachers taught me to stuff it up the jacket shoulder strap but that wouldn't work with a hog harnness), but the 24" on necklace rests there nicely right under my chin, it's super easily accessible and the bungee is tight enough to keep it in my mouth if I think I'm about to tox (and hence put it there). Also the 7' wraps nicely around my body so there's no extra sticking out anywhere. And it won't get entangled with anything as long as it's correctly stowed.

Bottom line is it works for me and makes more sense to me than other arrangements I've seen or tried.

Use whatever hose that you want - I just asked if it's use was "Hogarthian" (as normally defined) outside of cave diving. Floater gave an exellent analysis of why HE uses it.

Also, in general, "Hogarthian" also appiles to buddy/team usage: what if everyone else on the boat is using 40" octos, and you have the 7'? What do you do for the buddy that you get?

daniel f aleman:
Also, in general, "Hogarthian" also appiles to buddy/team usage: what if everyone else on the boat is using 40" octos, and you have the 7'? What do you do for the buddy that you get?
I bring the buddy with me.

JeffG:
So....he's not allowed his opinion? or to share it? I don't see him holding a gun to your head to get rid of your 7 ft hose.

If you can justify the why, it doesn't really matter what others think.

By all means, every one is allowed to share their opinions. Forcing, however one’s views and opinions is whole different ball game. That is how I feel about Daniel’s posts not only in this thread but also in the other ones. And I think I am allowed to voice it on this public forum.

artek:
By all means, every one is allowed to share their opinions. Forcing, however one’s views and opinions is whole different ball game. That is how I feel about Daniel’s posts not only in this thread but also in the other ones.
Thats his style. Its been like that since day 1.

artek:
And I think I am allowed to voice it on this public forum.
Does anything strike you as funny when you read your quote?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom