Frustration moving into/towards tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a cave diver PADI distinctive specialty. Very hard to find because PADI has only authorized a few instructors to issue it, @Capt Jim Wyatt is one of them.

I kind of want one, but my instructor isn't one of the ones authorized.
The curriculum for the class is almost identical to the NSS-CDS curriculum of the time it was created. Jim Wyatt was the director of instruction for NSS-CDS when he and the others worked together to create it..

The curriculum for the class is almost identical to the NSS-CDS curriculum of the time it was created. Jim Wyatt was the director of instruction for NSS-CDS when he and the others worked together to create it..

Is this an actual PADI class or a distintive specialty that an instructor applied for to teach?

Is this an actual PADI class or a distintive specialty that an instructor applied for to teach?
It's a distinctive specialty. The card you get says "Tec Cave Diver."

Some of you may remember that I've been looking to move into tech diving (deco, cave, etc) for a while now.

Do TDI Intro To Tech. Find an instructor who will lend kit if possible so you can try before you buy.

Intro To Tech does not have a pass/fail exit. It is just a catch all teaching opportunity and the instructor can teach you twinset diving from scratch. There is not an enormous amount to that, but what there is is worth being taught formally by someone who has done it many times. For example, it teaches shutdowns and primary donate. Shutdowns are difficult and many people struggle with them. For TDI you MUST be able to do a shutdown to pass the step after ITT (ANDP the entry level TDI deco course) but you get to practice for as long as it takes having been taught and even go back and redo ITT to gain confidence that you will manage that when it is really needed. ITT is only two days and not expensive,

I think you should ignore real overheads until after ANDP or equivalent. It is where attitude, team skills and the kind of soft stuff that gets kind of ignored gets taught.

I strongly believe that the idea of pass/fail in diving is bad. You should be learning and diving to a level supported by your learning and skills. If it takes one person a week to be safe at 50m and another three weeks then that is how it is. Labelling one a failure is not helpful. Unfortunately in the commercial world there are pressures. The decent agencies and instructors resist those pressures.

It's a distinctive specialty. The card you get says "Tec Cave Diver."

My cave instructor sent me a copy of the manual to go through, as it is better written then the TDI manual. Content is nearly identical. My copy is completely scrubbed of the PADI name, but obviously written with the PADI instructional formatting.

It sounds like it should be at least two different classes.
So people like you and the rest of the greedy industry can make more money.

Edit: not a personal attack on John. Don't know him. Just highlighting the mindset that he represents as he is/ was a PADI Director?

I admit that I didn't look at anything from GUE, as I have some fundamental things I don't care for about the agency and it's methodology as I understand it. While I think they have some great training for those who agree with them or have no feelings one way or the other about how they do things, some of their philosophy just isn't for me.
"As you understand it". You and so many others don't understand it but you think you do. It's a huge misconception and spreads bs around. Take the course to make you a better diver, don't have to follow anything they promote but it will make you a better diver if you give it a chance.

Similar to GUE, with NAUI Tec courses

Yea, yea, yea they all say that but its simply not true. Yes, great instructors who dive that way will have a similar course but it still 95% of the time will not be as good. Not as indepth, not explained as well, etc.

there is a difference between basic double skills and technical double skills
No, there isn't.

Their curriculum is setup absolutely terribly
No, its not. You are entitled to your opinion but its just like an *******. Everyone has one.

I'm done trying to explain to people the basics of proper training curriculum development.
Because you know everything there is to know. Sounds like you have a huge ego and have misconceptions, misinformation all in one. Good to know.

"As you understand it". You and so many others don't understand it but you think you do. It's a huge misconception and spreads bs around. Take the course to make you a better diver, don't have to follow anything they promote but it will make you a better diver if you give it a chance.

Yea, yea, yea they all say that but its simply not true. Yes, great instructors who dive that way will have a similar course but it still 95% of the time will not be as good. Not as indepth, not explained as well, etc.

No, there isn't.

No, its not. You are entitled to your opinion but its just like an *******. Everyone has one.

Because you know everything there is to know. Sounds like you have a huge ego and have misconceptions, misinformation all in one. Good to know.

I've never taken a flying lesson, but I know that if I see a student pilot land in a tree, something wasn't done right in the training... similarly, I don't need to take a GUE fundamental's course to realize it's jacked up from the perspective of how a proper training course is done. Knowing how to develop good curriculum (for anything) is more than enough.

Sorry your ego as a DIR diver refuses to let you see that, but that the cluster**** that is GUE fundamentals manages to help output some good divers =/= it's a good course or properly developed training curriculum. It's still crap, even if you worship it and refuse to see any flaws in it as a result.

I can't imagine where GUE adherents get their reputation for being elitist ****oles... oh wait, it's people like you, that's right. Have a good day, I'll still not be taking classes with GUE, but I'm glad you came into the thread to rehash crap that's been discussed at length just to make sure to show us how great GUE divers are at being dicks.

Sincerely,

Starting to really hate GUE'holes.

(though thankfully not everyone who takes a GUE class turns into one)

No, there isn't.

Pot meet kettle. You are here to insult everyone that isn't GUE and then accuse them of having a huge ego? OK, but don't later wonder why GUE isn't well regarded by others. Great trim and skills. I'll give you that.

I've never taken a flying lesson, but I know that if I see a student pilot land in a tree, something wasn't done right in the training... similarly, I don't need to take a GUE fundamental's course to realize it's jacked up from the perspective of how a proper training course is done. Knowing how to develop good curriculum (for anything) is more than enough.

Sorry your ego as a DIR diver refuses to let you see that, but that the cluster**** that is GUE fundamentals manages to help output some good divers =/= it's a good course or properly developed training curriculum. It's still crap, even if you worship it and refuse to see any flaws in it as a result.

I can't imagine where GUE adherents get their reputation for being elitist ****oles... oh wait, it's people like you, that's right. Have a good day, I'll still not be taking classes with GUE, but I'm glad you came into the thread to rehash crap that's been discussed at length just to make sure to show us how great GUE divers are at being dicks.

Sincerely,

Starting to really hate GUE'holes.

(though thankfully not everyone who takes a GUE class turns into one)

For someone who claims to be so intelligent when it comes to creating training programs, your analogy is stupid. As a pilot, I have witnessed accidents in training. It can be the instructors fault or not at all. Accidents can happen that are caused by things an instructor can’t correct quickly enough. Look for a better analogy.
Either way based on what I’ve read in this thread you seem to think of yourself as an expert and are judging gue courses based on your own professional bias without any direct experience to do so.
People should take a gue course then make a judgment. There’s tons of misinformation out there. Btw I’m not one of those gue elitist a-holes, but believe as a whole gue time and time again puts out better divers on a regular basis than most other agencies regardless of how horrible you think their curriculum is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom