Frustration moving into/towards tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the thread has become an argument about GUE

Every time I see this happen, it's usually the result of someone dismissing recommendations out of hand without any actual relevant knowledge. PADI instructors (rightfully) come out of the woodwork to defend themselves in pointless PADI bashing threads. This isn't too far removed from those.

It's the "never gonna consider it, mind is made up, no experience or firsthand knowledge needed" attitude that gets under people's skin when they offer up advice that gets rejected immediately.

Every time I see this happen, it's usually the result of someone dismissing recommendations out of hand without any actual relevant knowledge. PADI instructors (rightfully) come out of the woodwork to defend themselves in pointless PADI bashing threads. This isn't too far removed from those.

It's the "never gonna consider it, mind is made up, no experience or firsthand knowledge needed" attitude that gets under people's skin when they offer up advice that gets rejected immediately.

I would bet money that if I had personally met every GUE instructor in the world and decided that based on personality issues I wouldn't take a class from any of them I'd STILL have GUE divers/students telling me to go do classes with them anyway. The ONLY answer it seems the GUE proponents here will accept when someone says "I'm not going with GUE" is them subsequently saying "oh fine, I'll go take fundies with GUE".

If you can find the thread here where the consensus response from DIR/GUE divers/students/w/e said "well, GUE fundamentals is amazing training and will advance your skill but if you don't want to work with the agency for your own reasons, I understand and will respect your choice" (instead of the "you're wrong, go do fundies anyway, here's all the reasons I don't like your opinion/decision to not use GUE, etc) I'll look into signing up for fundies tomorrow. I'll plan on working tomorrow though, because no opinion that comes down to not wanting to go GUE seems acceptable to the GUE divers on these forums so I don't think you'll find that response. Feel free to prove me wrong though.

@helodriver87 You quoted the wrong part.
... they will get the fundies recommendation and they WILL NOT be allowed to say they are not interested in GUE without an argument...
At the bottom of page 1 you can see this happening. We're at page 21 now and still nobody understands it. By now the thread has become really gooey.

I would bet money that if I had personally met every GUE instructor in the world and decided that based on personality issues I wouldn't take a class from any of them I'd STILL have GUE divers/students telling me to go do classes with them anyway.

That would imply that you'd put effort into your decision making process. I know plenty of great non GUE instructors whose students I wouldn't hesitate to dive with. I've taken classes from some of them. It's not the conclusion I take issue with, it's the process.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

closed for review

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

After staff review, a decision has been made to permanently Close this thread, as it has not been possible to maintain on-topic, civil discourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom