Frustrating!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me get this straight...the water was TOO CLEAR for comfort???

Now THAT is a problem we've never had in my neck o' the woods! lol

I agree with the others. Hang in there, get some experience, and advance when you are good and comfortable.

I'm scared of heights. and it felt like I was going to fall as if falling off a building. hard to explain. But hey ho. That's how I felt.

---------- Post added January 28th, 2013 at 07:51 PM ----------

I think gaining more experience is a good option. There are tons of dives in the UK between 3 and 20 metres. Since I live down in London, I'm more familiar with south and southwest coast dives than any of the dives up north. There are 3 dives that I could do again and again down this way, and not be bored. the deepest is 20ish metres (James Egan Lane in Plymouth) and the shallowest is 3-5m depending on the tide (Swanage Pier). No need to rush through the deep stuff. No need to even rush through courses. Find a mentor, do some diving with friends. If I remember correctly, you're in uni, join the uni dive club if they have one. If not, I'm sure there are tons of dive clubs up in Edinburgh. Doing course after course won't make you a better diver. Working on the skills you have already acquired by just diving makes you a better diver.

I've been emailing around for dive clubs. A lot want you to be with Bsac, which is annoying because I really don't wanna transfer over.

---------- Post added January 28th, 2013 at 07:51 PM ----------

I'll ask about the elephant in the room...
Why rush thru the certs?? Diving shouldn''t be about collecting badges in order to gain status, it is not like a video game :dork2:
Guys, as instructors, there should be more common sense around this, it's people's life... we should asses every single person attending an advanced cert, again, there is no need to hurry... while some people may find it natural to get the advanced cert when they have 10 dives, others may not.

Due to this, we had a couple of accidents here in Argentina. People that took the OWD in the caribbean and got back directly after that to take the AOWD course (in our QUARRIES). Irresponsible instructors accepted that, and then accidents happened.

Again, I believe that it all goes back to seting the proper expectations... Why Rush?? Last time I check this was called RECREATIONAL DIVING right?

Safe dives for everyone!

Sorry, i should have explained, I was going to need to be resuce diver by april for uni related reasons. They won't let you dive unless you have rescue. But now I chose a project which doesn't require diving, i'm taking it slowly.

---------- Post added January 28th, 2013 at 07:53 PM ----------

Hi Kellykins,

You know you’re always welcome to come over to one of our training sessions on the West Coast.

Part of our buddy check training is to run an eye over each other. Last session I noticed my buddy had the mask seal over his hood on one side, yet he felt it was OK. Got it all sorted before we hit the water.

As many have said earlier, don’t rush, this is a hobby/sport/passion.

Kind regards

Thank you!

Kelly,

In your situation I'd consider BSAC if I were you - it will give you more opportunities to dive and get comfy and as a student it'll be cost effective too.

Kelly,

In your situation I'd consider BSAC if I were you - it will give you more opportunities to dive and get comfy and as a student it'll be cost effective too.

I don't know anything about BSAC. Will all the stuff I've done pass over? Because it would be a waste of money paying for padi courses if they don't ;/...

I'm scared of heights. and it felt like I was going to fall as if falling off a building. hard to explain. But hey ho. That's how I felt.
That's understandable to me. Heights bother me these days and looking down into a deep hole of water can be intimidating - more so if you are having ear problems. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

I've been emailing around for dive clubs. A lot want you to be with Bsac, which is annoying because I really don't wanna transfer over.
Kind of narrow mind of them, huh? Hope they'll be more helpful.

Sorry, i should have explained, I was going to need to be resuce diver by april for uni related reasons. They won't let you dive unless you have rescue. But now I chose a project which doesn't require diving, i'm taking it slowly.
:thumb:

I don't know anything about BSAC. Will all the stuff I've done pass over? Because it would be a waste of money paying for padi courses if they don't ;/...

Your PADI OW will cross over. You'll have to sit through a couple of BSAC lectures (intro to bsac and the bsac tables). You can dive on your quals on club dives etc, and once you're more comfortable in the water, do sports diver (or if they have sports divers lectures starting, sit through them and progress to the open water dives when you're ready. also SD includes some rescue skills). For the new to UK diver, I will say the sports diver course is excellent. it includes info on tides, deploying dsmbs, line laying, etc. Unlike padi, bsac has you progress to deeper depths in 5m increments once you've qualified as SD.
best thing about membership is training is included in your club fees (my non-student club fees are £180/year). just pay the cost of the books which is about £45.

There is a lot of misinformation out there about diving with BSAC if you trained with another organisation. From the BSAC Site:
If you have a recognised qualification you do not have to do any cross-over or further training (unless you want to!). It doesn't matter who you trained with (recreational, commercial or military), if you've never dived in the UK before or if you haven't dived for a few seasons - all very welcome - please join us!
from this page.

So no the training isn't wasted.

Kind regards

---------- Post added January 28th, 2013 at 05:03 PM ----------

Your PADI OW will cross over. You'll have to sit through a couple of BSAC lectures (intro to bsac and the bsac tables). You can dive on your quals on club dives etc, and once you're more comfortable in the water, do sports diver (or if they have sports divers lectures starting, sit through them and progress to the open water dives when you're ready. also SD includes some rescue skills). For the new to UK diver, I will say the sports diver course is excellent. it includes info on tides, deploying dsmbs, line laying, etc. Unlike padi, bsac has you progress to deeper depths in 5m increments once you've qualified as SD.
best thing about membership is training is included in your club fees (my non-student club fees are £180/year). just pay the cost of the books which is about £45.
There is no requirement to undertake any training for those trained by another agency.

There is a lot of misinformation out there about diving with BSAC if you trained with another organisation. From the BSAC Site:

from this page.

So no the training isn't wasted.

Kind regards

---------- Post add

There is no requirement to undertake any training for those trained by another agency.

I know there is no requirement, but the SD course is a good course to take. especially if she wants to further her training and experience.

Kelly,

It could be a win win for you but the hardest step is the first step and that's making contact with a club.

All it takes is a phone call and a chat with someone in a club and then you can take it from there.

Most people in clubs are very welcoming but you'll have to make the first move and , unless you do , you'll never know what you might be missing :)

The thing about club diving is that you get to meet a wider variety of divers, from people like yourself to people like Rivers and Edward3C.
Being exposed to a wider variety of people gives you a greater choice in diving buddies and with that a great deal of fun. And diving is fun is it not :)?

Kelly,

It could be a win win for you but the hardest step is the first step and that's making contact with a club.

All it takes is a phone call and a chat with someone in a club and then you can take it from there.

Most people in clubs are very welcoming but you'll have to make the first move and , unless you do , you'll never know what you might be missing :)

The thing about club diving is that you get to meet a wider variety of divers, from people like yourself to people like Rivers and Edward3C.
Being exposed to a wider variety of people gives you a greater choice in diving buddies and with that a great deal of fun. And diving is fun is it not :)?

Clubs have all sorts of folks. And as dbulmer said, they're all pretty welcoming. I just joined my current club this year. I crossed over from padi/gue. i didn't need to take the SD course as I was already qualified to do the dives I was doing (with the exception of one: cleaning the shark tank at chessington world of adventure which required being padi rescue or bsac sd).
If the club is active, you'll get to do lots of diving.
One thing I would definitely suggest doing, is find a diving mentor. When I began diving in the UK less than 2 years ago, I went for a dive with a diver I met through scubaboard at an inland site local to us. We dived a lot together and I learned a lot about diving in the UK through him. More than I would have learned in any course. And every dive, little by little, my skills improved. 150 dives later, and I'm a completely different diver than the spastic, maniacally finning UK newbie that I was. I have him to thank for that. A good mentor will provide a good buddy, guidance when you need it, and push your comfort level when it's at a level ready to be pushed. Plus, you get a few good laughs (some dives are just a comedy of errors) along the way. And hopefully, a long term buddy. I still dive with my mentor when our schedules allow, and I still learn a thing or two from him.
:)

.... Going to log more dives etc, and get used to using the gear :) and work on my legs hahah, it was comical trying to get out of the water...wish someone had a video camera :D

Careful what you wish for, cameras are getting cheaper and more common. I don't know many divers that want to be filmed getting out of the water, especially after a cold water dive. Lots of gear and lead, never a pretty sight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom