From Caribbean to Cape Town

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drysuit recommended for winter, hey? I was going to hook up with the folks from Coral Wetsuits and have them make me a nice 8mm... I hope that will do. I'm not sure I'm ready for a dry suit... But maybe thats just the way we thing about them here hehe

An 8mm suit will probably be fine if you plan on doing single dives or can handle a bit of cold. The info provided by others is pretty much spot on except that it can get down to 10 or 11 deg in False Bay, I have been diving here for over 25 years ......
Perhaps consider renting a 7mm suit from someone like Pisces Divers and see how that goes - Scuba Dive Cape Town - Pisces Divers, Cape Town, South Africa They are certainly one of the better dive operators / shops / training facilities around here.

I moved to a drysuit a few years ago and haven't looked back.

Scuba Africa that you have been recomended are out at Hermanus - not the best operator but I have used them in a pinch.

Ok. Good information. Another question... training here in the Grand Cayman is much cheaper than in SA. So... any specializations that you would recommend? I love the wall diving here... any of that there? I was thinking wreck diver, cave, deep?

The most useful qualification other than the OWI & II for me is Nitrox. Most of the charter operators here schedule their first dive of the day at around 25m - 35m.
It is typically a wreck dive but I have never felt the need to get certified. We do have plenty of wrecks that are diveable, I can think of half a dozen that we dive on a regular basis.

As for the Deep Diver, it depends on what you call deep - I am CMAS certified and went the advanced Nitrox route - far more useful.
I just do not know what a PADI deep diver gives you in terms of diving qualification.

There is really only one wall dive down here called Star Walls - max depth 36m but the interesting stuff is all 25m and shallower. The"wall" is less than 100m long and there are no currents to speak of. It is one of my favourite dive sites and Nitrox is certainly of great use here.

There is no cave diving down her either apart from a few "swim throughs" at some of the sites. I would not go to the lenght of obtaining a Cave Diver certification just for that.

Hope this helps, if you need more info please ask away.

Cool. I'll look into wreck. Deep for PADI doesn't really give you a license to exceed 40m I think. In Cayman you aren't supposed to exceed 30m just because the only way you can is off a wall. I think the only way you can exceed the recreational dive limits with PADI is through their Advanced EANx course with introduction to deco.
I just wish someone here had a dry suit!! Just to certify me. Is there a market for used ones there? A bit on the expensive side but I'm almost certain I can't handle the cold. I turned a dive around yesterday because I was cold whilst wearing a 3mm shorty in 28C water lol

Yup, there is a market for used suits - I will ask around tomorrow evening and get back to you.
A friend of mine runs a drysuit repair business and often has used suits for sale.

As for the wreck diver course - I have never been asked to produce a Wreck Diver c-card when going wreck diving with a charter operator.
I will speak to the operators and find out what their policy is in this regard.

Perhaps have a look at the course outline and decide whether you are really going to learn something from the course?

I managed to speak to my friend tonight, he has some used drysuits at around $600 - $800 which is apparently the going rate.
Obviously I did not know what size you need but at least you have a price point.
Then some of my other clubmates chipped in - apparently it is much cheaper to buy either a new or used suit in the UK.
So if you happen to be flying via the UK it may be an idea to do a stop over there on your way over here - just a thought and maybe worth some research.

It is something that I am now considering - my drysuit is pretty much toasted and I do owe my goddaughter a visit in the UK .....................

US dollars? Haha, yes! If and when you go, I may have to ask for a fitting beforehand!

Just another thought I had the other day... can you night dive in SA?

Tigress!! I need to go see the haaie and eat vetkoek and drink rooi vyn and be with my family!! You better send me tons of Cayman photos though <3

Back
Top Bottom