From Bangkok to Pattaya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCB,

Pinocchio diver, I don't think so. As you mentioned cabs are a real bargain, why make life difficult. The gear is not the real issue, but rather the timing of getting to the dive boat on a single day outing. I've done the singe day dive outing to Pattaya a few times already.

I agree it is a bargain. I went about 8 weeks ago via local BKK cab round trip. My latest trip was about a month ago. I took the bus to Pattaya and cabbed it back. That was an overnighter. A friend in Pattaya dropped me at one of the "cab stands" and I was able to book a cab back to BKK for 800 baht plus tolls. I made it back in 1.5 hours as we left at about 9pm.

Everyone has different preferences, but getting a ride in the morning and coming back that evening makes diving most manageable with work and other social commitments. Economically speaking, you can't beat the bus. But at 6am haggling with a cab or even finding one is not a pleasant thought. Lugging stuff to the bus station (i.e. walk to BTS) isn't either. To make the dive boat you would have to leave your flat at about 530am to catch a bus that would arrive in time to make the dive boat. If you are willing to spend the night and dive the next day this is a non issue. Hence an other alternative would be nice. Sharing a private ride with another diver or two would be great. As some of us have work commitments and non-diving significant others the day trip to Pattaya scenario is a better option.

AZ

Arizona:
Sharing a private ride with another diver or two would be great. As some of us have work commitments and non-diving significant others the day trip to Pattaya scenario is a better option.
AZ

Yeah, done that one quite a few times. Normally try for the 5.15 or 5.30 bus to get there in plenty of time. Cab back after. Mind you, do find it a bit masochistic. Mostly now go down on a friday evening either cab or go with a friend who drives, and come back saturday evening or sunday even, although that makes it a longer break.

I dunno what Planet scuba do. The bk store is close to emporium on sukhamvit, and I know they dive in pattaya and samaesan sometimes. They *might* also do transport - i really don't know. Going to have to pay for it though.

Still, looks as though there are at least a few people on the thread who do the bk-pattaya trip regularly, maybe options to join together?
-j-

josh_ingu:
Yeah, done that one quite a few times. Normally try for the 5.15 or 5.30 bus to get there in plenty of time. Cab back after. Mind you, do find it a bit masochistic. Mostly now go down on a friday evening either cab or go with a friend who drives, and come back saturday evening or sunday even, although that makes it a longer break.

I dunno what Planet scuba do. The bk store is close to emporium on sukhamvit, and I know they dive in pattaya and samaesan sometimes. They *might* also do transport - i really don't know. Going to have to pay for it though.

Still, looks as though there are at least a few people on the thread who do the bk-pattaya trip regularly, maybe options to join together?
-j-
I am interested, Arizona, you, so three people so far. VIE also told that a group is going sometimes from BKK to Pattaya, but they mostly rent a boat.
I would say 3 people is perfect for a cab, 4 the absolut maximum, if more there are cheap minivan....
Maybe also possible that you get a cheaper price at the dive center when you come with 3 people and maybe one already DM.
We just find a good way to communicate.....

I like the idea of going to sites off the beaten path if possible. I read in another thread the Bremen is supposed to be very good. I've done the Hardeep, Kram & Kut but would like to check out others. Do others who make the trip regualry carpool and split expenses or can we negiotate a minivan for 3-4 + people?

This thread could be used to organize. Do we have anyone already doing this? I've heard you can go to a travel agent in my area and book a minivan. Perhaps someone knows a driver willing to make the run to Pattaya and come back around 6-7 pm so we can grab something to eat and drink before heading back. A minvan is good as gear can be brought along.

AZ

yes 1800 is a good prize for return i would recomend aquanouts dive centre its located in soj 6 be carefull going down that street aloane with luggage early they leave really early in the morning so you have to contact them the day before i would highly recomend arriving the night before Lk mansion hotel in sao bacao is cheap about 700 bath but there is a hotel next to it thats onlyabout 300 but its hard to find there are some nice places there to dive ive been to most of them but just dont remember their names exept the wreck Kram its a pretty cool wreck and i have to say that if you are going to pattaya walking trough walkingstreet at night is something not to be missed its the crazyest place ive ever seen just tor remeber look dont touch

when are you leaving there i know some people that use the same driver he has a like a minibus used to be a taxydriver in bangkok ive used him 2 times and hes wery reliable i could find his number in the morning if you want

I ask two minivan companies just to get a few prices to compare....
Else I would suggest to just ask some DC what they have to offer if a group is 4 or 5 people there must be a good discount possible.
I also don't see a problem if some diver prefer different DC than others, sharing a taxi or minivan does not mean than everyone has to go with the same dive center, they all anyway go and come back at approx. the same time.

Icelander,

You may have missed to point. By beaten path, I meant dive sites not normally visited by the operators catering towards tourist. I just want to dive and leave soon afterwards. We have all been there before. I think finding a safe, cheap ride back and forth is what most on this thread seek. We all live in Bangkok and are seeking to pool resources. Thanks for the suggestions though.

AZ

ok no problem thought you were just going trough the area or something i still think a minivan would be the best option for you guys if there are 3 of you i remember getting a minivan from pattaya to bkk round trip that took the whole dau just over 2000 bath and this guy took us shopping all over tha plase there were 4 of us sharing it so it came out cheap
sawadee krap

Some spam from me:
I was tdex and there is a company called divesiteasia.com, they also sell beuchat bcds there. They offer as more you book as cheaper it gets. Normal price would be 3200 Baht per day with paradise diving, but at the trade show they offer special 5 days at 6000 baht and if you have one equipment they discount 300 baht per day.
So it will be 4500 Baht and you can use it whenever you want, no time limit. I spoke with Peter from Denmark and asked if I dive just once a year and it need 5 years would that be also OK and he confirmed.

So it turns out as 900 Baht per day/2dives everything is included like if you book it for the usual price.
I tend to believe him because he also just replaced the looks for my BCD for free even I bought it outside thailand (told me he get it free from Beuchat so he give it free for me).

just ask for peter there, he might not stay so tell they shall call him on the phone....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom