Frogman Led vs. Halcyon Scout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish:
Depennds on your intended use. As a low power flood, I have experienced LEDs to be great lights. As a backup for signalling, they do not suit the task IMHO.

i have several led lights for land use and they work better the darker it is. does the same apply underwater? whats the difference in output between a xenon bulb and multileds? i would think that the multi leds would perform better.

also my intended use would be 2 get two decent sized backup lights that would be used as primary for the meantime. i only do night dives in familiar territory under 30ft water so i dont need anything tooo strong. something that would serve this purpose as well as to serve as my back-ups once i get my canister lights in the future.

i was thinking at the photon torpedoes. do they give a brighter light compared to the scouts? they seem highly rated but cant find em anywhere online. the site thats listed has them all sold out. im really incling towards the frogman as they are the most compact brightest lights i have seen underwater. 60m/ 200ft seems good enough for me.

I have two Photon Torpedoes and they are nice lights.
Rugged and very comperable to the Scouts what concerns brightness. Nice tight beam.

aquaoren:
I have two Photon Torpedoes and they are nice lights.
Rugged and very comperable to the Scouts what concerns brightness. Nice tight beam.

the Photons are hard to come by. how would they rate as a remporary primary light?

Like I noted in your other thread, I think it's worth it to get an inexpensive primary light like a UK C8 or Prineton Tec Shockwave for $50 in the meantime. The Scout-type lights really are pitiful in comparison as primaries.

As a b/u LED I think you cant go wrong w/ the Princeton Tec "Impact XL" it it is awsome WAYYY better than the Dive Rite 7led light. and its like 40$

Spoon:
i just took the dir-f last week and passed:) anyway everyone was using 2 scouts as backups. i kinda like the ruggedness of the scouts but am not quite sure about the output. how bright are the scouts during the day underwater? will they work well pointing under crevaces? will they illuminate dark areas? im not quite ready yet. the frogman on the other hand is amazing it works well even as a primary at night. i may get one of each hehe.

why are you pointing under a crevice with a backup light?

limeyx:
why are you pointing under a crevice with a backup light?

dont have enough cash for my primary light. planning to get a used canister soon. the back ups wil be temporary.

Spoon:
dont have enough cash for my primary light. planning to get a used canister soon. the back ups wil be temporary.
Take my word for it man... I've used the scout type lights as primaries... it's REALLY REALLY worth it to spend the $50 and get an 8 C-cell light for use when the vis is limited..

jonnythan:
Take my word for it man... I've used the scout type lights as primaries... it's REALLY REALLY worth it to spend the $50 and get an 8 C-cell light for use when the vis is limited..

alright then. will invest in a cheaper primary now. and get the backups once i have my hids:)

Well you should still have a backup obviously, but get something designed for a backup as a backup and something designed as a primary for a primary... upgrade the primary later, and you still have your quality backups.

Back
Top Bottom